Mahogany wood?

JoeR

TVWBB Member
My mom bought some mahogany chunks for me - she was told they are great for smoking. I don't see them listed on the smoke woods page, and google isn't much help either. Anyone heard of smoking with mahogany? If so, with what? I'm leaning towards chucking it at the moment.

I can't find anything indicating that Mahogany produces a fruit or nut.
The general rule of thumb is that if you can eat the fruit or nut of the tree, then the wood is OK for smoke.
Based on that, it might not be acceptable for smoke wood.

How about this !
I guess it is OK, my gut feeling would be "NO" but these guys have been doing it for years.

... I wonder how much of that mahogany banister I ripped out last Saturday is salvageable ?
It's more than 100 years old and painted ... better not mess with it. Or my wine cabinet ???

I'll stick to cherry, but I'd love to hear a report if you use it.

Good work Morgan,
Would you agree that Mahogany 'voilates' the rule of thumb that I qouted above?
I wonder what other woods that don't produce a fruit or nut our members use for smoke wood?

--
Charles

You might be a redneck if...
You’ve ever gone into a military surplus store with a purpose.

Mahogany Smoked Meats was the mandatory stop for us on our ski trips from SoCal to Mammoth mountain. It's been a long time since the last trip, so I don't remember how it compared to other smoke woods. It smelled great, tasted great. Enough said.

This was my first post. Notice when I joined. Am I the ultimate lurker or what?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hunter:
"Once the seed coat has been removed the seeds are edible,... " </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, I'll be darned! Learn something new every day!
icon_smile.gif

Back