Made a nice strip on the Q320

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So last night looked at the Genesis, shoveled the deck but the Genesis is crusted over in snow and I said "nah". So I took the garage queen to the driveway. And got it heated up. Did my requisite S&P on the prime NY strip I had cut from the whole loin back in November. BTW I am not a fan of this new craze of pre salting a long time before cooking. I have tried this and steaks seem like rubber to me. They get seasoned just before before they go on.
Anyway just another great result from that heavy SS grate on the Q. Gives me a nice all over crust, no need to use insane heat and a gorgeous pink interior with nice crust exterior. Photo was best I could muster with lack of and quality of light. Rest assured it ate like a million bucks! I see another thread trying to remake an already near perfect little grill, doing dangerous mods. Skill in cooking beats dangerous mods any day in my book!
20220127_184907.jpg

I think dry brine time depends on steak thickness. I like a 1.25-1.5” NY strip steak and for me, a one hour dry brine and get to room temp time seems to work well for this larger cut.

Really nice cook you did there. Maybe with some cheesy mashed potatoes topped with steamed broccoli for the sides?

The NY looks great. I'm not a fan of salting up a good steak, especially when you can get an easy CI crust, but I am a fan of steak (garlic) butter

That steak was done using those solid stainless sheet grates that I think Stanbroil came out with. Larry, it looks like they are still working well for you. While I really like the standard issue cast iron, you can't argue with those results - or the ease of care compared to cast iron!

While I really like the standard issue cast iron,
Don't get me wrong. I love the CI ones. I just hate the upkeep. Those Stanbroil ones are "no brainers" and honestly in my outdoor equipment I am leaning more and more to "no brainer" as the years and trips around the sun go by. Which of course I question every time I have to crawl under that Kubota beast and try to wrestle an almost 400lb mower deck LOL. But than I get that sweet music from that little diesel under the hood and I get it

Q-320 Is a great Q, I have a well seasoned CI grate that has been holding up really well. It’s my 3rd one in 10 years or 11 years it do but it’s a good one. I have a couple more in the garage from when a hardware store went out of business.

Last edited:
Q-320 is a great Q, I have a well seasoned CI grate that has been holding up really well. It’s my 3rd one in 10 years or 11 years, but it’s a good one. I have a couple more in the garage from when a hardware store went out of business.

Last edited:

Back