Mac And Cheese (Crazy talk...beware)

Ok, now I know I am just getting batty and trying to COME UP with stuff for this new toy of mine to do...

But has anyone here smoked their Mac and Cheese?

I know that there are several recipies out there for mac and cheese that call for baking it for 35 minutes or so...

Well, you can bake stuff in the WSM. Right?

It will hold 350*.

So why not make a big ol' dish or foil pan of your favorite Mac and cheese, throw the crunchy on top and smoke that bad boy at 350* for 30 minutes?

Or am I losing my mind?

(The dog runs away when I BBQ now that I have the WSM. I look at him, I look at the WSM, I look at him, he runs away. hehehehe)

Nah, you're not crazy Scott ... you just have an addiction!

I think anything you cook in the oven can pretty much be cooked in a smoker. The only issue would be how much smoke wood is used for the item you're cooking. Some foods won't take to the smoke as well as others.

Smoked Mac and Cheese? Sounds great to me!
icon_biggrin.gif

Dang Kevin that looks and sounds AWESOME!! As far as Mac and cheese on the WSM..I would think the addition of smoke would nicely compliment it.

I did mac & cheese in the Bullet...the summer outside temp was too high to fire the inside oven without creating a domestic 'situation'.
So my 'smoked bacon M&C' went into the Bullet for approximately 45 minutes (top rack)@ 325 degrees. Used only a tiny amount of wood, as the bacon had been cooked at a previous smoke session, and would impart enough of that flavor
into the dish. The results: "sensational" to say the least...will do another one when the true Fall weather hits and the call is out for 'comfort food'.

What kind of wood did you use on the smoke? Apple? What kind of cheese did you use? I only ask because I've been having some difficulties pairing the right wood with the right cheese.

Also, wouldn't this work just as well if you smoked the cheese before adding it to the dish? That would save some charcoal and allow it to be cooked in the oven.

I made some mac and cheese recently and used smoked gouda in the suace and topped it with sharp cheddar. The smoked gouda added a mild smokey flavor that I really liked. I would be curious how much smoke would flavor it if cooked in the WSM.

Back