Lyfe Tyme?

Eric Wicklund

I am thinking about getting a Lyfe Tyme or equiv. smoker. The main reason is more room & access.

Is this a stupid idea? is it worth it? will there be any difference in quality of the finished product?

I have been doing the bullet for 3 years & I love the hobby. It's like a fish tank. Always want biger & better.

I have a wsm and I just started using a 20 inch Horizon offset. Both work great. I think the temp control is better with the wsm, there is more room to work with the Horizon. They both have their strengths not much in the way of weaknesses. For the buck, the wsm rules.

How big are you thinking? Looks like they sell some massive rigs?

Are you looking at catering, feeding crowds or just getting an offset style smoker to change things up a bit?

Eric,

The Lyfe Tymes are nice pits but if you go with one make sure to get one that has at least a 20" (diameter) main chamber. The comments I usually hear on them is that they are nice but a bit small. You may also want to consider Gator, Klose and Bates pits all out of Texas too. I have a WSM and an offset. I really like the WSM for butts and brisket but prefer the offset for ribs.

If you do decide to go with the Life Tyme check http://www.trampolinesales.com/bbqsmokers.htm they may be cheaper even with shipping than buying locally (i.e. The Outdoor Cooking Store)

Good luck. Oh and good to see another MN Qer. Go Vikes!!

TA,
20" was the size I was looking for. It's amazing the shipping costs. & you are correct the Outdoor cooking store doubles the price! I’m thinking road trip. You in?

As far as how much cooking it's just friends & family. The only think I get tired of is rotating the butt’s on the racks. It would be great to have one big flat one.

Were in Mpls are you?

-Eric ericw@dcvast.com

Thanx Bryan,
They look nice. Is the temperature that much harder on a offset? is that the only down fall? Any one from MN driving to Texas?

Bob, Matt & TA. Smoke some ribs for the opener?

Originally posted by Eric Wicklund:
Is the temperature that much harder on a offset? is that the only down fall?
Yes with the paper thin el cheapo offsets. Quite the oposite with a Gator. Ritch uses nothing but 1/4" new steel plate for his pits. Once it heats up with that amount of steel it holds it's temps extremely well with very little fuel required to maintain the temp. Each one is made and customized to your wants and needs. He does not prebuild his pits. From ordering to delivery is running about 10 weeks right now, he's very busy. Spend some time on the site and read the FAQ'S. Hopefully i will be ordering my Party Gator over the winter.
icon_biggrin.gif

Eric, I have two wsm's and a large offset, 30"x8' w/upright. It is 3/8th steel. While I agree the wsm is a dream to control temps, the offset is just as easy.

Once that pit gets hot, about 2 hours, it stays on temp. It takes hourly feedings, but the temp doesn't fluctuate. Plus, opening a door for a couple of minutes won't affect temps. It doesn't lose heat or have temp spikes from additional oxygen rush.

Even on the thin metal offset I had, with a charcoal basket and leaks sealed up, I got an 8 hour burn without touching the pit.

Both types have their advantage. It's good to have both, if the budget allows.

The quality on the Klose pits is very good .Plenty of room on the Mobile catering rig .I think the wait is eight weeks now . Call and ask for Monty .

Tim,
I got the cd in the mail two weeks ago ;-) they look like they have everything. Im finding that there is a big differance from the $600 modles vs. $1000 modles.

Thanx all for the info! I don't think I can get the idea out of my head ;-)

I think figuring out delivery will be more challenging then which one. I wonder if there is a market for building pit’s in the North?

Originally posted by Eric Wicklund:
TA,
20" was the size I was looking for. It's amazing the shipping costs. & you are correct the Outdoor cooking store doubles the price! I’m thinking road trip. You in?

As far as how much cooking it's just friends & family. The only think I get tired of is rotating the butt’s on the racks. It would be great to have one big flat one.

Were in Mpls are you?

-Eric ericw@dcvast.com

Eric,

I'm in NE MPLS, pretty close to you. Actually I'm kind of displaced right now. We're selling our place and am staying up in Ramsey with the inlaws till we close. Bought another house in NE.

I'm planning to buy a Gator, hopefully this fall. Haven't decided if I'm driving down or having it shipped yet. Guess it depends on weather it's a backyard or a pull behind. I've looked at Klose but have delt with Ritch at Gator. Very nice guy and great customer service. From what I can tell his pits are second to none. I'm going to try and fly down there to check out both makers before I buy so we'll see.

You really get the trade offs with the offset and WSM. You get the very low temp/fuel maint with the WSM but really suffer on the space. With the offset it's just the opposite. I guess I'm willing to be a little inconvenienced with the offset to get the more space.
Pit I'm looking at except that I won't have that burner extension, at least not that big. Also no star or wood handles and will probably go with two doors.

I know there is a market for quality built pits up here but don't know if a guys could support himself just doing that. Besides we don't want too many people doing this, do we?
icon_smile.gif

TA,
Please keep in touch. I would like to know what you find out. We might have to work something out & drive down together & share the cost.

-Eric

Back