Lump

Clark Deutscher

TVWBB All-Star
I think I am going to switch over to lump from briquettes. Just wondering how much lump usually costs? I am looking at Maple Leaf but it's $20 for an 18 pound bag? Seems high to me but I'm not comparing it apples to apples as all I have bought before is Kinsford which is $6 for a nine pound bag in my neck of the woods. Thanks for any input in advance. Also has anyone tried the mapleleaf? The reviews are awesome on Naked Whiz.....

Clark

RO is $5.72 at Wally World for 10lb. bag. Charwood is around $6.99 for the same size in most places I've seen.

I too prefer lump to briquettes, however with the recent sale on Rancher at HD (2.99 for 20 lbs.) I couldn't ignore that.

I was paying around $18 for a 20 lbs. bag of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior blend. I was very happy with this product, I still have 60 pounds or so left that I will be using for direct grilling.

I pay 7.50 for 15lbs of picnic lump.

This past weekend I cooked two butts totaling 22 lbs for 18 hours.

I used about 12 lbs of lump and still have about 1/3 of a ring left.

Unlike charcoal, the leftover lump is completely reusable as is for any kind of a second cook.

Use a dense, quality lump and you'll never look back.

Clark,
Where did you find Maple Leaf lump?
It is indeed a premium lump, without question-hands down the very best lump I have ever used.
$18 for a 20lb bag is comparable to what I would have to pay for B&B or Wicked Good. I would not hesitate to spend that kind of money on Maple Leaf.
It is made only from maple, beech, and birch. It smells absolutely heavenly when it burns.

Hi Clark,

I live on Vancouver Island and I can't find any lump anywhere out here! My brother is in Ontario and has a bbq store there that sells it. He's picking up 200 pounds for me today and sending it down. I hope it's as good as you say! I've never used lump so taking a leap of faith!

Clark

Clark,
I can pretty much guarantee you will like this lump. I just hope it is the lump, as Maple Leaf also made a briquette that got less than rave reviews.

I ordered 2 bags of Maple Leaf on the net when it was still available in the States. Paid over $60 with shipping to get it, but it was worth it. Every.Freaking.Penny.

I use to use the Maple Leaf Lump and Briqs (also very good) until they stopped importing it into the U.S. back in 2003. What a very sad day that was.
icon_frown.gif
As mentioned It Is a fantastic lump, might have to agree that it was the best I ever used. The combo of maple birch and beech is awsome.
icon_smile.gif
Wish we still could get it here, because I would be using it. Buy it, and use it, and go ahead and rub it in on how great it is, you lucky son of a gun.
icon_cool.gif

If you can get your hands on that maple leaf, buy all you can and be real thankful. I just recently tried the rancher briquettes and I have to say I prefer the lump over the briquettes. I bought 2 bags of rancher and had good results, but for what it's worth, "Lump Rules"

Brandon

O.K, now I want to kill my brother but apparently that price was a sale (and I thought it was to expensive to start with!) The new price is just under $34 CAD for an 18 pound bag. Still worth it or should I stick with K at $6 for a nine pound bag....Thoughts?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Clark Deutscher:
O.K, now I want to kill my brother but apparently that price was a sale (and I thought it was to expensive to start with!) The new price is just under $34 CAD for an 18 pound bag. Still worth it or should I stick with K at $6 for a nine pound bag....Thoughts? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Clark, That SUX.
icon_frown.gif
Well with talking back and forth with Shawn W who lives up in the Great White North he said that in Canada they clearance all the BBQ stuff at the end of the season. So have your brother keep checking for the end of the BBQ season sale and tell him not to drop the ball this time.
icon_wink.gif
And have him buy you some Tripple A dry aged steaks. Smoked Rib Eyes

B&B has lump on their website for $7.50 for 20#. I placed an order for 2 bags and received an answer back that I could get it at Walmart or HEB in my area. I haven't been to Walmart yet but I believe they carry RO lump. I'm going to try B&B again to see how much it is for shipping. It shouldn't be too much since they're here in TX.

Back