lump vs kingsford

M Piercy

Bought myself a bag of lump today - gonna try it tomorrow. The bag says it burns hotter and longer - any suggestions on required amounts for doig a 4-5 hour rib cook??

it will burn hotter but not sure about longer than kingsford, it depends on what brand lump you got. I have had good results with royal oak lump

Mark

I think Kingsford burns longer only because more fits into the charcol ring. Lump has huge pieces and there is lots of air all around them. I've had better results with briquits in the WSM and lump in the kettle. JMHO.

Keep a close watch on your cooking temp. I frequently find lump has a tendancy to spike the temp too high after a few hours. Kingsford is more stable.

But, I think the flavor from lump is better and there's not much ash to deal with, so lump is definitely worth considering.

Trying it half and half - put some unlit lump on top of kingsford. Ribs are coming to room temp and wsm is at 203 and climbing!!

Thanks for the info

p.s. - lump is texas style oak B & B

With lump I usually fill up the ring loosely after I put in the "flavor" wood. use about 1/2 a chimney to start it and I use the minion method. If I'm going for an overnighter I pack the ring very tightly and shake it a few times to make sure I get as much in as possible. It's a good idea to use the grate mod with lump because you get a lot of weird shapes. Don't worry about quantity that much. After your food is done shut all the vents including the top. The fire will burn out and you can reuse the leftover lump for your next Q.

Watch those temps carefully as they are coming up. I usually close the vents right before it reaches 200. Lump temps will skyrocket if you let them.

All the information you need is over at the Naked Whiz website, but to answer a few questions...
Kingsford burns longer because its more dense than most lump. Lump temps can vary with brand, species, and size.
Some people pick up an off taste from Kingsford, particularily on long cooks (usually ascribed to nitrates). Most people will notice the natural woodsy flavor present in most lump.
Good lump is more expensive than Kingsford ( adds up on overnighters), so that must be weighed against the real or percieved "advantages" of lump.

Another factor to ponder when pricing lump is that you may get much more by volume than you do with briquettes.

My 17# Maple Leaf lump bags are much larger than a 20# bag of kingsford.

A full ring doesn't seem to last quite as long, but I also get more in the bag to start with.

I've only been able to get a hold of Cowboy lump, that stuff sucks. I'm pretty happy with Kingsford and Royal Oak Briquettes. Maybe if I can find another brand of lump I'll give it a shot.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian L.:
I've only been able to get a hold of Cowboy lump, that stuff sucks. I'm pretty happy with Kingsford and Royal Oak Briquettes. Maybe if I can find another brand of lump I'll give it a shot. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
You hit the nail on the head there. Cowboy lump is about the worst lump you can buy. It's made from scrap lumber.
icon_eek.gif

I was worried about the amount of ash I was getting in a 6 hour cook. Jim Minion answered my cry for help as I want a 12 hour cook for Memorial day.
He suggested filling the ring with a 50/50 mixture of lump and Kinsford and then starting it with a half chimney of lump.
Have not done this yet, but I am going to try it on Memorial day. Bought the lump and the brisket...tom

Back