Lump -vs-Briquettes

Ben Milano

TVWBB Member
I know there are comments all over the board on this but it seems that the debate alaways starts again around this time of year.

From what I take away from the many posts I've read is that briquettes have a more consistent burn the lump coal seems to have a cleaner burn. Besides these two issues what would be the pros and cons of using one versus the other?

I have been using Kingsford for everything from ribs to sausage to chicken and all the meats taste great without any noticable aftertaste or odor. It does a bit ong for the temp to get where I need it to be but that could be the cook more than the coal
icon_rolleyes.gif

I've tried lump and Kingsford.
I stuck with Kingsford.
The lump will burn hotter and cleaner, but I found that it causes a lot of temperature spikes.
$7.98 for a 48# twin-pack at HD right now.
I scarfed 3 of 'em!
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ben Milano:
Besides these two issues what would be the pros and cons of using one versus the other? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's kinda like the old question "Ginger or Mary Anne?" Everyone has an opinion and neither is wrong. I use both depending on mood,meat,pit and temperatures desired. Just don't be intmidated, try lump and see how you like it. Before you do, investigate some ratings on lump so you buy good quality.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BrandonC:
It's kinda like the old question "Ginger or Mary Anne?" Everyone has an opinion and neither is wrong. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, Kingsford is pure and lump is a self-centered, ego centric *****.

Bill

I like lump, I find it gives a nicer flavour and I have never had issues with temperature spikes. The only "dissadvantage" I have found with lump is you may have to refuel more often on a long cook because the variation in size and shape doesn't usually allow you to put as much fuel in. Just my opinion though.

By the way put me down for Mary Anne!!!

Lump, Lump, Baby. I use Lump 95% of the time. I do use Kingsford to light the lump using the MM. I fill the ring up with about 9 lbs of lump and using the Guru i get anywhere between 20 - 22 hrs without adding anymore lump.
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm just starting to experiment with lump and so far I like it.

Put me down as a Mary Ann kind of guy. My favorite episode is when Professor makes a big offset cooker out of bamboo . . .

It's much easier to deal with the natural variations of lump with a "guru", but it's less dense than kingsford, so you will use more volume/hour.
For those sensitive enough to notice- lump will win the flavor test.

The other thing is, that with briquettes, you get to use at least 95% of the bag, whereas with lumpwood, the bottom (could be around 20%) of the bag is just dust and small bits. Certainly small enough to go through the charcoal grate.

Graham

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Graham M:
The other thing is, that with briquettes, you get to use at least 95% of the bag, whereas with lumpwood, the bottom (could be around 20%) of the bag is just dust and small bits. Certainly small enough to go through the charcoal grate.

Graham </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's why most Lump users do this here

Tony, that cracked me up!

How come I can only find Cowboy lump, which gets pretty low ratings on the naked whiz site. Where else do you kids turn up good lump? I love online ordering, but jeez o pete shipping is $$$.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Susan Z:
Tony, that cracked me up!

How come I can only find Cowboy lump, which gets pretty low ratings on the naked whiz site. Where else do you kids turn up good lump? I love online ordering, but jeez o pete shipping is $$$. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
True Value Hardware Stores carry Royal Oak and some others here. I think ACE carries it as well.

Bryan, you're my hero!

I've never ever in my whole life cooked with lump, but I'm surely going to try soon!

I tried Maple Leaf lump after reading the reviews on the naked whiz and was very impressed. There was very little small debris and the smell and flavour was fantastic.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Graham M:

Graham </div></BLOCKQUOTE> One other point on volume, my 17lb bags of Maple Leaf lump are substantially larger than 20lb bags of Kingsford. And with no clay filler, perhaps you get more burnable material with lump, pound for pound vs. briquettes. From that perspective it's not as expensive as it may seem.

About the small pieces, yeah I've had a couple of bags with a lot of fines in them but that hasn't been the norm.

Bryan S sent me this cool grate for lump burning. I think it's a charcoal grate from an 18" kettle. It is upside down and has handles welded on to it and you sit it down inside the ring, on top of the stock WSM grate so that the rungs are perpendicular to help prevent smaller pieces from falling through. I've been using lump ever since.

Graham </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on your supplier. The bag doesn't start off filled with dust, that happens the more the bag is handled. I'm fortunate enough to have easy access to a large distributor of lump charcoal so mine has had minimal handling - and therefore minimal dust/small pieces. I realize that not everyone has that luxury. All things being equal my preference is for lump over briquettes as I'm uneasy with the 'mystery' fillers that go into briquettes, but I can cook with them just fine if need be.

Back