lump question

Mark K.

Hi guys,

I used lump for the first time the other day (Frontier brand), and it popped and cracked so much that it sent ash up into the food area.

Is it the same with all lump or is Frontier particularly bad?

Never used Frontier but RO and cowboy cracks and pops at high temps. I've never had an issue with ash from lump. However, I use lump for low and slow in my WSM so after dumping the chimney starter, the cracking and popping stops. When I have used it in my kettle, again after dumping from the starter and putting the lid on, after a few seconds it stops. Again, no ash problem.

Same with Humphrey's been using it exclusively for 10 years now since I can get it readily and cheaply, and it's a quality lump.

Might get some crackling during the light and at the dump but afterwards - nada.

Cowboy lump - on the other hand would pop an crackle and throw off sparks throughout the cook when I tried it. Don't like it at all and will never use it again.

Like Royal Oak when I tried it. Never used Frontier though.

Yea its a big difference between brands. Normaly it sparks a little when you light it but stops when the heat gets settled. Unburt lump from the day before almost never sparks at all.

Frontier is notoriously bad for the popping and sparking. I gave it another go early this year and it was like a 4th of July display in the chimney.

Believe it or not, there are HUGE differences between brands of lump. You can find lots of reviews at Nakedwhiz.com.

The only lump I've ever fallen in love with is Royal Oak, though I haven't seen a couple others people rave about (like Ozark Oak).

Throw your bag of Frontier away, and buy a bag of Royal Oak. Give it a few tries, because lump is a little different, and takes a little getting used to.

Are you using it for smoking or grilling?

Thanks for all of the feedback guys. I think that I'll just throw the rest away.

Matt to answer your question, I bought it for smoking. I usually use blue Kingsford, but I wanted something hotter so I could try a HH butt.

My first and only test so far was with a low heat tri tip (250 degrees). But based on my experience so far, I can tell that it just won't work at HH.

I may try another brand of lump or I may just go for Kingsford competition briquettes.

I use Royal Oak lump almost exclusively due to availablity and price. What I don't use it for though is for starting my cooks. Lump can pop and spark when starting and since I start on my bbq sideburner (on a wooden deck) I use natural briq's in my starter.

Everyone will have a different opinion, but I too have found a huge quality difference between lump manufacturers.

I just recently started using RO lump on a couple of low and slow cooks. It cracks and pops in the chimney but once I dumped it in the chamber it did its thing no problem.

i really like RO also it burns clean and the sizes in the bag are consistant which is key. i tried true Que also, it was Ok. i have bought some wicked good and it is awesome, but only use it on special occasions due too the cost of shipping, there briquettes are also great..

Glenn in SC

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
Same with Humphrey's been using it exclusively for 10 years now since I can get it readily and cheaply </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Would you mind sharing your source. I have been looking for it for a long time now and con"t find anywhere. I don't mind travelling especially since Im in S.Jersey often whats a few more miles.

Back