Lump Question

Allan

TVWBB Fan
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Big Green Egg Lump. I've checked it out on the nakedwhiz site, but considering I'm a newbie with all this, I was hoping some of the experts would chime in.

Allan: I've been using BGE lump since March and I've had very good luck with it. If fact, I've used nothing else since I started using it. I typically use the the Minion Method with the BBQ Guru without water in the pan. I would recommend that you install a second grate in the Charcoal ring, otherwise a lot of the smaller pieces will fall thru. See http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/charcoalgrate.html for the mods. Using the MM I can get up to 15 hours without having to re-fuel.

Ken

Thanks for the tip on the additional grate. I did in fact find that a lot of the lump fell through on my first cook, so I was wondering if I had to do something different when placing the charcoal, like place each piece one by one or something like that.

I'll definitely look at the mod and get the additional grate and install it.

Another recommendation is breaking up the much larger pieces of lump into smaller pieces to match up with the majority of the lump. When using the MM, the large pieces just don't seem to start to burn in my WSM. There are only about 4 to 5 of these larger pieces for each charcoal ring full of lump.

Ken

Another trick is to line the bottom of your charcoal grate with briquettes then place the lump on top of that. It works!

Rick

Back