lump prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe C

TVWBB Member
Just picked up two 20# bags of lump today after much searching in my area. Paid $8.50 a bag. Is this the normal price? The guy said if I bought a 30 bag pallet he'd knock off a buck a bag. I get Kingsford briquets at Sam's Club for around eleven bucks for 40 pounds. I am anxious to try the lump in the WSM and my Weber Kettle.

That is about the same rate, that I see in the North East. What brand were you able to find?

Jim

That sounds like a great price to me. The only Lump I can get around here is the "Real Flavor" brand at Wal-Mart. The quality is very good, but they charge $5.27 for a 10 lb bag.

Thru Cash N Carry, lump out here in the west for $9.95 for 40 pounds, but this could be a regional thing I know it's produced out here in the San Fransico area.
Jim

Jim Morrissey, a local company called Millazzo Industries has some one make and bag it under their name. When I asked they assured me it was not made from scrap lumber. I grilled some fish last nite and it does burn hotter. This week I'll try some chicken in the WSM with it. Where in the Northeast are you? I'm in northeast Penna.

Just realized where youare Jim. Dummy me didn't realize the poster locale is at the bottom .Don't know where Kinderhook is tho.

Joe,
I have had the Millazo Brand, along with Humphrey's which is manufactured, down in your neck of the woods. There is also a place that makes cookers called Meadow Creek, they also sell a private label lump that is made by Royal Oak which I hear is very good. They are having a large sale on March 23, with 10% off. I think it's around the $8.00/20lb range. Lump is not for everyone, but I switched over about 2 years ago and never looked back. I am located in the Hudson Valley Area, probably a few hours from you.

Jim, what did you think of Millazo? I have nothing to gauge it by as this is my first try at lump. I get through the Hudson Valley a couple times a year, mostly to demo a lightweight camper I sell. I was at the Grey Fox Bluegrass Festival in Ancram last summer with it. I'm sure you've heard of it. Might be able to stop by and say hello when I'm up that way.
Joe

Joe,
I have nothing bad to say about Millazzo brand, and never had any problems with it. The most common complaint from lump users, is the amount of shake out, or powder that is left in the bag, of most brands. Not much use for it except the trash can. Best to add a second grate, or a piece of expanded metal on top of the charcoal grate, to stop any small pieces of lump from falling right to the bottom of the cooker before ingniting. Ancram, is just down the road from me. I'll send you a message off list. Your more than welcome to come by.

Yeah Jim, I noticed a lot of small pieces in the bag. Might have to do what you suggest and add a second grate.

I am considering getting a piece of expanded metal cut to put over the charcoal grates of my WSM's, and I might even get a piece cut to put on the charcoal grate of my new Kettle. Doesn't cost very much.

Hey Rocky, e-mail me your address and I will ship you a grate. I have a big piece of expanded stainless steel behind my shop, after reading this thread I am going to cut one out this afternoon and I will cut one for you.

dennis@solin.com

Duck,
While your out there cutting, I suggest cutting an extra piece, the same size as the middle grate. When I need extra grilling space that the kettle won't handle, I run the WSM with the pan out, and grill on the top grate, fire on the middle grate. Run the WSM with the door off, This will produce an extremely hot grilling fire. For a little cooler fire, keep the door on and all bottom vents open. I believe that this procedure is in the WSM manual, but ahh, who reads them. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks duck. I have a spare polder-type thermometer or a stainless steel injector I could send ya for a trade. Check yer email.

I can't remember right off the top of my head how big the WSM charcoal grates are. Aren't they 15"?

I know the kettle charcoal grate is 17".

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rocky:
[qb]I can't remember right off the top of my head how big the WSM charcoal grates are. Aren't they 15"?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Much of this kind of info can be found in the Weber Bullet Tour section of the Web site. The charcoal grate is 15-1/2".

Regards,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back