Lump other than Royal Oak?

I picked up a bag of Rockwood yesterday and will be using it later today for tonight's rotisserie strip roast. If the roast doesn't turn out I'm blaming Bob.;)

detective+jorge+baluja.jpg

My go to is Royal oak, But if where spinning a quarter side of beef it's lazzari mesquite at 14 - 16 bucks for a forty pound bag...great stuff and pretty much contestant in size.

I saw that bag at my local Smart & Final. Does anyone know how food tastes with it? The last time I used a mesquite hardwood it was bitter.

Same as someone else posted on here... I saw the Kamado Joe on demo at Costco right before this past Xmas and they had 30 lb. bags of their Kamado Joe Big Block lump charcoal for what I want to say was $21. Went home and did the first cook, went back the very next morning and bought 3 more bags after I saw online that next roadshow wouldn't be for months. It averages out to about .70 cents per lb. and is phenomenal.

HUGE chunks, little-to-no smoke that comes off as it lights, hot and consistent burn and imparts a nice flavor on its own. I pour some into a bag I keep in my Performer Charcoal bin and throw it on the floor a few times to actually make the chucks smaller (like tennis ball size). I will use his charcoal for as long as it's available to consumers.

Cowboy Southern Style hardwood (34lb bag) is on sale for about $21 at my local Costco in Southern California. Has anyone tried it yet?

Back