Lump or charcoal purchasing

Donny Anderson

TVWBB Super Fan
Amid the numerous discussions on the pros and cons of lump and/or charcoal on this site, I have decided to try lump for my next butt. However, with the absence of Rancher now at HD, I don't know what is left out there that is easily to buy (like at a Walmart or HD). I really don't want to order lump, as that can get expensive and is not very timely. Should I should stay the course with Kingsford or is there something out there I could/should try?

I have HD, Lowes, Walmart... locally. There is a Sam's in Knoxville. No Costco.

Thanks in advance.

Donny,

If you can find it Walmart sometimes carries Royal Oak lump, it's pretty good. HD normally carries cowboy lump but it's not good at all in my opinion. Do you have a Robert Orr Sysco there anywhere? We have one here in Nashville. They carry there own brand which is made by Royal Oak and I buy every bag they have when I get to Nashville. It's good stuff and a huge bag so it lasts a few weeks anyway.

I want to try some of the better brands mentioned here but all would have to be shipped from online and I just haven't justifed spending the $ yet. Somebody mentioned on another thread that Costco should start carrying Rancher lump, I hope so because I do have a Costco here in Nashville.

Trader Joe's carries lump once the weather warms up. The Cowboy one I think. Barbeques Galore has lump too if you have one near you.

I've cooked with lump and Kingsford. I find the only difference is maintaining temps/how soon you have to reload and has no outcome on the final product.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Donny Anderson:
However, with the absence of Rancher now at HD, I don't know what is left out there that is easily to buy (like at a Walmart or HD). is there something out there I could/should try?

I have HD, Lowes, Walmart... locally. There is a Sam's in Knoxville. No Costco.

Thanks in advance. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Donny check out this site, it rates many numerous kinds of lump

www.nakedwhiz.com/lumprankpoll.htm

I used Kingsford briquettes exclusively and just recently experimented with lump. In my opinion, the lump is far superior to Kingsford. I have been using Royal Oak lump, so give that a shot if you can find it. I also used some Cowboy that I had left over from grilling season, and I didn't care for it. I'll be using Royal Oak from now on, until I try the new stuff at Costco, that is.

Donny,

Wal Marts here in Chattanooga typically have Royal Oak lump. If you can't get it in Maryville or Knoxville, let me know before you come down to Chattanooga and I will verify that it is available.

Royal Oak can be had at Wal Mart, GFS, (as mentioned) Ace Hardware, True Value and the like. If you have a Wegman's near you, their lump is made by Royal Oak. HTH

So it sounds like Royal Oak lump is the way to go with "store bought" lump. Walmart carries Royal Oak here. Thanks for the offers from my "neighbors" and the help from all.

I hate to be the wet blanket, but I must strongly suggest that you start out with a quicker cook for your first lump effort. Ribs might be a good starter. I find lump much harder to manage than briquettes. Large temp spikes and drops occur much more frequently. You have to sort and pack the ring tightly in order to get anything like the length of burn time you get with briquettes. I'm not trying to dissuade from using lump, because it does give a nice flavour. I'm just suggesting that you go with a daylight cook (where you can keep a close eye on it) first, so that you can get the hang of it.

Cheers

Lou, Thanks for the advice. I'll keep that in mind. I have a pre-cooked ham that I want to smoke that might be a good start with lump.

I live in the city and lump is preferable to charcoal because dont have to clean ashes out of my grill nearly as often

I have had the best luck finding good lump at some small local ethnic markets. The one I go to locally is a latin market. I have found Picnic and a locally available lump, Floresta, that is packaged by the Picnic folks.

Rick

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lou Tarnay:
I find lump much harder to manage than briquettes. Large temp spikes and drops occur much more frequently. You have to sort and pack the ring tightly in order to get anything like the length of burn time you get with briquettes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
On the opposite side of this, I find no difference in using briqs verses lump for getting to or holding temps, or length of burn out of lump. To pack the ring takes less than a minute. Depending on how dense the lump is you are using, you will get about 16-20 hrs out of a full, packed ring of lump. I never had any temp spikes with lump.
icon_wink.gif

with all the talk about what kind of charcoal to use (kingsford, rancher, royal oak, ect,ect.) i wanted to try a off brand charcoal. i went to a cut rate store, "save-a-lot" thats here in the kansas city,mo area. pick up a 18lb bag of charcoal called "kindle" it's cost was $4.50. a bag took it home and fired up the wsm. i had two 5lb's chuck roast,on one chuck roast i used my reg. rub and on the other i used a cajun seasoning, put a cup of beef broth in the pans. i used the standred method to fired up the wsm. when the wsm got up to temp i put the pans in the smoker uncovered for two hours and then foil for the rest of the cook. i did use one big peice of hickery for the smoke flavor. i use the clay lid in place of water in the water pan since this has been good for my wsm keeping a good even temp thru out a cooking process. at 12:30p.m. i put the meat on, got the wsm temp set around 250-260 it held it temp for the next 5 hours. at no time did i have to add any charcoal at 5:30 pm i checked the chuck roast and both were fork tender and had a great flavor.
with all that said, maybe it's not the rancher or kingsford or royal oak that is so better but the way the wsm is made to cook and hold heat. so for me, i will be buying a couple bags of this charcoal to use with my wsm.
I used this brand of charcoal last summer to grill with, it was cheap and i did not want to use my rancher or kingsford to grill a few items on the grill the only lasted for less then an hour. my next test for this charcoal will be a overnight cook.
my 2 cents take.

I was at the local Meijer store tonight and the had "Frontier" lump.

This is rated #29 on the list in the link above, but comes in as average score. Anybody use it?

They also had mesquite and hickory briquettes there as well.

I amy give it a shot, when my bags of Kingsford run out.

Does anybody used the "flavored" briquettes, or does that add too much smoke?

I amy give it a shot, when my bags of Kingsford run out.

Does anybody used the "flavored" briquettes, or does that add too much smoke?

Royal Oak makes Kindle

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dave caston:
with all the talk about what kind of charcoal to use (kingsford, rancher, royal oak, ect,ect.) i wanted to try a off brand charcoal. i went to a cut rate store, "save-a-lot" thats here in the kansas city,mo area. pick up a 18lb bag of charcoal called "kindle" it's cost was $4.50. a bag took it home and fired up the wsm. i had two 5lb's chuck roast,on one chuck roast i used my reg. rub and on the other i used a cajun seasoning, put a cup of beef broth in the pans. i used the standred method to fired up the wsm. when the wsm got up to temp i put the pans in the smoker uncovered for two hours and then foil for the rest of the cook. i did use one big peice of hickery for the smoke flavor. i use the clay lid in place of water in the water pan since this has been good for my wsm keeping a good even temp thru out a cooking process. at 12:30p.m. i put the meat on, got the wsm temp set around 250-260 it held it temp for the next 5 hours. at no time did i have to add any charcoal at 5:30 pm i checked the chuck roast and both were fork tender and had a great flavor.
with all that said, maybe it's not the rancher or kingsford or royal oak that is so better but the way the wsm is made to cook and hold heat. so for me, i will be buying a couple bags of this charcoal to use with my wsm.
I used this brand of charcoal last summer to grill with, it was cheap and i did not want to use my rancher or kingsford to grill a few items on the grill the only lasted for less then an hour. my next test for this charcoal will be a overnight cook.
my 2 cents take. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back