lump charcoal ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

OK! I have a question to the pro's I have has my WSM for about 2mths , but I got schooled on a Brinkman smoker with mods , I love my WSM , I have bought a bag of lump coal can u mix this with say Kingsford and get good results or do you use this Lump stuff on it's own. Iam cooking some ribs right now and I used a half and Half mix in the weber it's been doing fine, but I had to get in thier and mix coals around and I had a bit of a problem early in the cooking were I had a hard time trying to regulate the heat (via vents) but it has hold at 240-235 for about the last almost 3yrs or so and I have turned the ribs over and they look grand so let me know about your experiance with Lump Charcoal thanks and great cooking seeeyaaaa sebastian

When I fire up the chimney, I put Kingsford half way in the bottom and the lump the rest of the way to the top.

I put a layer of Kingsford all over the bottom grate inside the charcoal ring with some more lump scattered on top.

I carefully dump the hot coals when ready all inside the ring to try to cover all unlit charcoal/lump, assemble The Beast, and wait 30 min for it to level off.

This isn't right or wrong, just what seems to work now.

SonnyJ

I'm not sure what you gain by mixing lump and Kingsford. If you believe that Kingsford is changing the flavor of the end product then using straight lump would be a better solution.
I don't find Kingsford to hurt my product and have it judged may times while cooking against folks that use lump or wood burned down to coals or straight wood burners, a second place finish with 118 entries in the Memphis in May for example, used straight Kingsford for example.
If you can taste it (Kingsford), and I'm sure that there are those out there that can, then I would find another briquet to use that has different properties than Kingsford for the long overnight cooks.
Jim

In my experiences with lump I've found it costs more, requires more attention as the temperature is more eratic, and generally burns hotter than I like.

I see no advantage. I imagine that some smoke flavor is realized from lump, but nothing that can't be achieved with wood chunks.

I gave up on it and don't use it unless it's free /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My primary use of lump charcoal in the WSM is for when I need to maintain higher temperatures, I.E. 325?F for turkey, chicken, etc., or for really searing a steak on the grill. It does burn hotter and leaves less ash. I have had good results with using a combination of briquettes and lump, especially, during the colder weather of the winter. On a larger cooker, I prefer to use lump - once again, it's hotter and creates less ash.

i use lump in the WSM and love the results, No temp problems. Fill the ring with lump, fill the chimmey mwith lump, lite the chimmey, when ready pour onto othewr lump, put food on and start to cook. About five hours later, I add more lump, mix with whats left and good for another five hours, about the msame as charcoal for me that is. Must be doing something wrong!! A 20 lb bag of lump will allow me to do at least three smokes, where charcoal used 10 lbs per burn. So cheaper in the long run

Dan L

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back