Lump best buy

I like oak lump the best and Royal Oak is the best lump I can find locally. I still have lots of Wicked Good left, but I use Royal Oak most of the time.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Anybody try Original Charcoal Company? It is about 2 yr old out of Charlotte-charcoal from S. America.
Steve, I use it and like it a lot. Naked Whiz gave it a very good review also,

Believe it or not...after a search for Orig. Char. Co. the address I found is just two blocks from where I am living! It is a residence...I'll have to knock on their door soon.

I tried Cowboy brand and just do not like it. I tried to find Humphrey's in Laurel with no luck. I know I can get it on the otherside of Baltimore I just was not up for the drive. I did pick up some BGE lump and will be trying it on a Brisket Flat in the morning.

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Jim, on a long, big cook using some lump significantly reduces the ashe build up and the lump seems to be slower burning. There is usually always more lump left than king. If you think of a three layer cake, the lump is the middle layer.

Steve,

What does this gain you as opposed to all lump, with King as the starter?

How "thick" are your layers?

Always wanting to experiment,

JimT

Jim, I am not a whiz at all lump cooks. The last RO cook was a pain but good flavor. I added more lump twice-used entire bag.
In MM cooks King is even and long burning-that's old King. Lump has not been as even burning for me. So I devised the lump sandwitch technique: a layer of king on the bottom (to ensure even burning of the large pieces of lump), lump in the middle and, a layer of king on top. I did this because I have not mastered 18-20 hour lump cooks.

Steve, I can't find Original Charcoal Company lump any more. I used to buy it at Harris Teeter, but they don't seem to carry it any more.

Back