Lump best buy

Steve - How & why do you do that? I may want to give it a try.

In the Upper Midwest, it seems like the Cowboy brand of lump always has a $1 rebate at Menards. It ends up at $3 or $4 for the 10 pound bag based on the sale price.

Jim

Jim, on a long, big cook using some lump significantly reduces the ashe build up and the lump seems to be slower burning. There is usually always more lump left than king. If you think of a three layer cake, the lump is the middle layer.

Steve, Here in PA Humphrey's Lump is by far the best buy and one of the best lumps out there according to Naked Whiz (which i agree with).
icon_biggrin.gif
I get a 40 lb bag for $17.50 compared to Royal Oak @ $10.99 - $11.99 a 20 lb bag.
icon_eek.gif

Find a good oak lump charcoal. Nothing like good oak charcoal burning. I like Royal Oak, mainly because I can get it Wal-Mart, but I'm suspicious they're putting more than oak and hickory in it. It's worth trying the smaller producers like Humphrey's, Ozark Oak, lot's of others too. Just costs too much to have it shipped in small quantities.

It's worth trying the smaller producers like Humphrey's, Ozark Oak, lot's of others too. Just costs too much to have it shipped in small quantities.
Humphrey's, Ozark Oak and i'll throw B&B into the mix and oop's lets not forget Wicked Good. If you have to buy Lump online it's not very practical at all. I can get Humphrey's local and that's what i use. It's a bonus that it's one of the best lumps out there. Yeah i'm lucky but use what you have available to you.
icon_smile.gif

Some folks in Ohio recently went in on a pallet of Kamado Extruded Cocnut Lump Cahrcoal. Best investment i've made in coals. You can fire up a half box of the Kamado with your K-ford, settle in at 225, and keep rolling for 22-24 hours. Very little ash.

If you can get in on a pallet, it works out to be about $12/box. THus, you fuel cost each cook is about $6.50 (a little for the K-ford). Not too shabby for a 22-24 hour cook!

Hey Jay,

Where are those folks in Ohio located? I just went on my own (in NE Ohio) for a small pallet. Wish I had seen the info on it.

I used Maple Leaf lump - I really liked it and I could get it at Wal-Mart but the supply was sporadic and I ran out once during the season. I really like the extruded stuff since it is so clean burning and I add the smoke with the wood. Regards

Originally posted by Steve Petrone:
Anybody try Original Charcoal Company? It is about 2 yr old out of Charlotte-charcoal from S. America.
I have heard great things about that lump, some people here have used it. I think naked whiz has a review on it somewhere on their site.

Whiz has reviewed it. Just curious what others thought.
Steve, Jim Warren has used it and liked it. If you do a search for "Original Charcoal Company" you'll find his posts about it.
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Mark Pepelea:
Hey Jay,

Where are those folks in Ohio located? I just went on my own (in NE Ohio) for a small pallet. Wish I had seen the info on it.

Most of us were from Columbus. Jeff Miller came from Tipp City (Dayton) with free wood. Thanks again Jeff. I'd imagine if we were to do this again, we'd be able to get you in. The bexes are not big and could be easily stored if you could not make the pick-up. Scott Schaeffer (sp?) organized it. I'm much to lazy to take on that kind of task.

I was checking out the Kamado site last night, looking for a pallet share, and their container is on the water and due in port at the end of January, beginning of February.

They are taking orders now at the sale price of $7.79 I believe.

Bruce this is an awesome price. I can't remember how much we paid a box but I was thinking it was about $12 a box. All I can say is I didn't buy near enough of that Komando. I bought 3 boxes for myself and it went quick.

I am going to head to komando and check it out.

Hey Jay you are welcome again. I was wondering if you tried that grape vine out yet? I finally used some on ribs and they were awesome.

Bruce I just done a google and I didn't see the komando charcoal. I just got my machine running again and haven't installed my favorites folder yet. Would you mind posting the link to komando.

Anybody try Original Charcoal Company? It is about 2 yr old out of Charlotte-charcoal from S. America.

It's very similar to the Wicked Good you tried.

Back