Lull in the Action

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
While I'm still around and watching activity here on TVWB, I haven't contributed much. Things have gotten held up some in our new home -- in particular the installation of a new door from our kitchen to the grill/smoker. Nothing serious, just waiting for doors to get built/delivered and timing around that delay. So instead of getting my new grill access this week, it will have to wait until at least next month. (So much for allowing "plenty" of time for built-to-order doors. :( ) The walk through the house forth and back to the grill has become difficult and painful, so I just haven't had any grilling to talk about. But soon, I hope.

Meanwhile, I have ribs waiting to be smoked (probably not going to wait long on these), some brisket trimmings to be made into chili (definitely not a long wait!) and TODAY I will be working on my own interpretation of a Cuban black bean soup for which I found a good-looking recipe and then yet another with adds that will get incorporated. I'll be able to post about that, hopefully, tomorrow. The motivation for the black bean soup comes from the best "Cuban Black Bean Soup" I have ever had while on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. After a good-sized bowl, it was all I could do to not go after another. Had I not been leery of my stomach just a day after my encounter with a stomach bug, I would not have resisted at all. And right now I'm just making myself hungry!

I'll post my recipe when I get it down, but I'll tease ya'll with the addition I found in the second interesting recipe -- peanut butter. I included a heaping tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter in my last chili (just for grins) and ended up with the best chili ever! So when I saw PB in the recipe for black bean soup, it was obvious what to do.

Gonna stop now -- both dogs just tried to jump on my keyboard. That needs to be avoided!

Eagerly waiting to see all those cooks Rich.
know the dog thing, last night Barb and I walked into the bedroom to go to bed and the bed was a complete disaster. One of the two, we think it was Abby our black lab had a great time rearranging all the sheets, pillows and blankets. Tooks us about 20 minuets to sort everything out and remake the bed.
I know Abby was trying to get Whitny our Golden retriever/husky rescue to play but Whitney wasn't interested. Suspect Abby decided to entertain herself.

Last edited:
Did you ever notice that recording the process of making soup is rather boring. Getting started, cooking, cooking, cooking, cooking... Done. :LOL: So I won't go through it all, just a pic of the starting ingredients to keep the fascination reined in. I'll do the finish stuff when done. Black bean soup is especially boring. I've made split pea soup, but these black beans REALLY take a LONG time to get soft without a pressure cooker. I'll allow for that next time -- sampling along the way is very promising, so I'll be doing it again to get the recipe down right.

The onions and celery are rather washed out, but you get the idea.
20230424_130826.jpg

Yep, soup is boring to make. Made some ham and corn chowder on the stove top a couple of days ago kinda like watching paint dry.
Most of my soups now I use our instant pot, beans are tender in 35 minuets. Total time is under an hour usually.

Yep, soup is boring to make. Made some ham and corn chowder on the stove top a couple of days ago kinda like watching paint dry.
Most of my soups now I use our instant pot, beans are tender in 35 minuets. Total time is under an hour usually.
Believe me, that purchase I'm considering.

I decided to finish this with a link to the recipe I used with the few boring pics.

Back