lower temp for baby back ribs - good results

Jeff Davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I used Mike Mills recipe from Peace Love and BBQ to make his award winning ribs. The recipe calls for pegging the temp at around 210 degrees for the duration of the cook. The book says 1.5 hours or until tender which I'm thinking is a misprint and should be 4.5 hours. I find it takes closer to 5.5 to 6.5 hours until the ribs pass the tear test.

This results in a very texture than the britu recipe or recipes calling for a 250 degree cook. The ribs are jucier, bigger, tastier and seem to have less fat. I realize this is personal preference but everyone who has tried them likes them more than the britu texture.

Here is a link to the recipe:

http://www.1001recipes2send.com/Entrees/Beef/3388-Apple..._Champion_Ribs.shtml

I don't do BRITU, instead using MM.

I start Bbacks at around 225 grate for the first hour or so, then increase to around 250 grate for the rest of the cooking time.

Takes 3.5-4.5 hours for toothpick tender....I've done them slower before, but didn't find any advantage to it..... besides having the risk of overcooking them.

(And I've done that too)

Usually, but not always.

When I do foil it's for 20-30 minutes at most. Then after foiling, I'll gently glaze them as they firm up.

This is just for baby backs though..spares take longer all the way around.

Back