Low Country Boil?

Phil R.

TVWBB All-Star
I was wondering if anybody here has a recipe for a Carolina/Georgia boil? I've looked at lots of recipes on the 'net, but was looking for someone's own favorite recipe. I don't really have access to really good seafood, but do have excellent corn, potatoes, and some artisan sausages (of course, I can always buy shrimp at the grocery store...). Can't use crab 'cause it's so far out of season here. Anyway, if anyone has a favorite recipe I'd love to try it out (btw...I *love* old bay seasoning).
icon_smile.gif

Phil, Use the ratio of 2 tsp of Old bay to every qt of water. Taters in first, followed by the sausage, then corn on the cob third. Lobster tails next, followed by clams, and the shrimp or crawfish for the last 3-4 min. Drain it well, and dump it out on to the brown paper table cloth, dig in and enjoy. Serve with lots of melted butter (Amish/Artisan), and some fresh ground pepper, sea salt and napkins.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks for the recipe Bryan. I understood how it "works" (i.e. slower cooking things in first) but was curious about the proportion of old bay to use. I definately want my guests to be able to taste it. So 2 t. per quart of water will give me pretty good flavor?

And of course plenty of good butter will be served with it.
icon_wink.gif
I was actually thinking of maybe adding a stick to the boiling pot...I thought it might "coat" the contents when they're lifted/strained out.

That looks kind of like a low country boil with New England clambake elements (the clams and tails)--good idea.

2 t per quart should do you but if doing a large pot add another T 'for the pot' and check for salt. I often add some. I usually also add quartered onions, whole garlic cloves and a lemon or two, halved. If you're cooking whole sausages and thus less likely to have much in the way of fat release, a butter addition is worthwhile, a T or so/qt, ballpark. Serve additional Old Bay on the side, along with the melted butter.

LC boils are usually more successful than clambakes because each element is added at the proper time rather than all in together from the get-go--but the longer cooktime of the bake makes for more flavorful broth. That's what I shoot to re-create for boils, minus the seaweed addition since there usually isn't any in Fla.

Kevin,

Could there be any use for the broth after I'm done with the boil? I.e., reducing it and serving it with bread or something? Although it would be kinda tough to reduce that much liquid, especially in a regular pot as opposed to something like a saucier (sp?).

I was thinking the same thing about the fat release from the sausages...and I will be adding sausages. Maybe I'll hold off on the butter until afterward.

Here's one you might try.

Crawfish Boil

40lbs live craw fish
5 lbs red potatoes cut in half
5lbs yellow onions cut in half
10 lemons cut in half
5 whole garlic
2 box salt
4 bags crab boil (the stuf wit all dem little seeds in sack)
One 8 oz. bottle of kayan pepper One 12oz bottle liquid crab boil
Half a crawfish pot of water

Put all dis in d pot bring to boil. Let boil for exakly 10 minutes. Then add crawfish, bring back to boil. Boil exacly 6 minuets turn off. let soak for about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove crawfish from pot put on table open beer and eat till u belly hurts. Feeds approx 8 people or 3 coonasses. Remember to wash crawfish first.

Phil-- I salt/season the cooking water well enough so that any reduction is nigh impossible but I do use it. It's the stock for shrimp and grilled corn bisque, any of a few different gumbos, shrimp and linguiça soup with butterbeans and chard, cioppino, clam chowder, etc.

Back