Low and slow smoking on weber gas grill

Tom Li

Just wondering, when (and if) you guys smoke on a weber gas grill, do you use aluminum foil to plug the slit at the back behind the top and the cookbox?
im talking about 225-250 grate temp so it is not going to get overheated to damage the lid, even if dome temperature doubles due to the plug.
Reason being just to get smoke to stay in longer so the meat gets more of it.

Thoughts?

Probably not a great idea to plug the back vent. Better idea is to use that vent instead.

Before I got a dedicated smoker, if possible I would put the food up on the warming rack at the back of the grill. Which happens to be located right where that back exhaust vent is. So the food would be placed exactly in the flow as the smoke made its way out of the grill. There's also a bit of a cooler temp up on that rack. If I couldn't use the warming rack, I'd still put the food in the back part of the grill since that is generally where the smoke is going.

But the real solution to the problem was an $80 WSM off of Craigslist. Cheap, effective and takes up a minimal 2.25 square feet on my patio.

I've heard plugging up holes on a gas grill is a big no-no.

I have had good results with A-MAZE-N pellets and their pellet holders. I like the tubes better than the maze for my gas grill.

Rhonda at A-Maze-N is the best! Call and ask her if you have questions about how to use their unit if you have a problem.
But, as Larry says, (and I paraphrase) “NEVER, repeat, NEVER plug, cover or otherwise disrupt/restrict airflow in your gas grill!”
It’s just a very bad idea.

Agree that the pellet tube/maze is a nice way to generate smoke inside your gas grill. Easier and longer lasting than the foil pouch/chips method.

The only trick is to make sure that the tube/maze does not get too hot -- you want it to smolder not flame up. So keep the pellets on the cool/indirect side of the grill top.

Back