Low and Slow in Toulouse, France

BillCape

Hi TVWBB,

I am an engineer in the aviation industry who, originally from Florida, now calls Toulouse, France home. I imported a little collection of Weber gear (WSM 22.5, kettle, Go-Anywhere Charcoal and an E-330) and find myself using the WSM and kettle almost exclusively. To say I enjoy the cuisine over here is an understatement, but there is an unfortunate lack of low-and-slow bbq.

My current interest is in making a temperature controller for the WSM. Sure, the WSM is pretty stable once it gets settled into a temperature range but I get a kick out of gadgets and enjoy the challenges involved with getting things like temperature controllers working.

Cheers,
Bill

Welcome Bill! Are introducing the French people to American BBQ cooking?

I'm doing my best! The word barbecue gets used quite loosely here. Since they use the word to describe any piece of meat, grilled and sauced, proper American BBQ really stands apart. One thing I've had to tone down is the spice level, sadly. While French mustard can have some kick, it seems the French folks are generally not accustomed to eating things with much pepper-based heat.

I'm doing my best! The word barbecue gets used quite loosely here. Since they use the word to describe any piece of meat, grilled and sauced, proper American BBQ really stands apart. One thing I've had to tone down is the spice level, sadly. While French mustard can have some kick, it seems the French folks are generally not accustomed to eating things with much pepper-based heat.

That really surprised me, Bill. Win 'em over gradually!!

Back