Low and Slow for a Prime brisket?

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
I have a 12lb Prime packer that's been in the freezer for almost two years that I'm thawing for a cook this Saturday.
I've always done them traditionally, but am intrigued by the HHM of smoking brisket.

I was perusing the "High Heat Brisket Method Compilation" thread and there's a blurb in the OP that states something like "traditional methods should be used for higher grade cuts"

I really want to do the HHM for this one. Anyone smoked a Prime brisket this way? If so, any tips/comments/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The cook will be on a 18.5" WSM

Thanks!

Definitely no water in your water pan. How high is heat for you? I don't agree you have to low n slow for prime. I've seen Harry Soo's videos cooking prime at 400F on a 22 WSM with no water pan!

I've put a little bit of foil around the edges of the cooking grate where there's a hot zone of air coming around the water pan. This is especially important on the flat. I'd definitely cook fat side down.

Yep, done them quite often. 350F - 400F, about 5 hours. Prime only, 12-15 lbs. Donna Fong has a recent thread on it here somewhere. I use a water pan but no water in it.

Yep, done them quite often. 350F - 400F, about 5 hours. Prime only, 12-15 lbs. Donna Fong has a recent thread on it here somewhere. I use a water pan but no water in it.
Good to know.
I never use the water pan in the WSM except to catch drippings.
Thank you very much!

Definitely no water in your water pan. How high is heat for you? I don't agree you have to low n slow for prime. I've seen Harry Soo's videos cooking prime at 400F on a 22 WSM with no water pan!

I've put a little bit of foil around the edges of the cooking grate where there's a hot zone of air coming around the water pan. This is especially important on the flat. I'd definitely cook fat side down.
350-400.
I appreciate the advice on the foil. I've a few butts & ribs on the WSM, and the hot zone never affected those cooks, but this brisket is going to be wedged in, so the foil around the edges is a great idea.

Thanks!

My first hot & fast brisket, and the first one on the WSM.
Plenty of delicious bark.
Probe tender.
Just under 6 hours. It was a Costco prime packer, (on sale for $3.99lb, a couple years ago. I think it was around 12lbs, but I probably trimmed 3-5 lbs off if it.
Thanks for all of the great tips!

Attachments

• 20220211_181535.jpg
    20220211_181535.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20220211_181952.jpg
    20220211_181952.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 16

Back