Lot's of Peppers

• Thread starter Thread starter Josh H
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Josh H

Hello All,

I've been a long time lurker here. I appreciate all the knowledge I've learned from such a great community.

I've recently found myself with a good problem. I have peppers up to my eyeballs. I asked my dad to plant a few for me, and like father like son, he went overboard. It's a pretty good assortment of Jalepenos, Habeneros, Anaheims, and Cayennes.

So my question is for any ideas of what I can do with these. ABTs are a favorite that I will definitely do, but does anyone have any favorite sauces or rubs that would work?

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Josh

I've got a bumper crop myself, so I bought a little book called "Too May Chiles!". In fact, I just minutes ago came home with 12 mason jars to start the process.

Being naturally lazy, I am leaning towards the oh-so-easy "Preserving in Alcohol" method, which requires no sterilization, no stove top, no nuthin. Also, according to the book the alcohol tends to change the chiles less than vinegar.

You just poke or cut a hole in each one and cover with your preferred liquor They say you can use vodka (that's what I will use), gin, vermouth, or rum. PLUS...you get peppered vodka (or whatever) as a by product. HOw easy is that??

The book is cool, tho, and gives other methods including for smoking 'em, and provides lots o'recipes too. I recommend it (it's only $6.95, or maybe I found it for $4.95 on ebay, OH, but got the one off of ebay for 6.95 that came with some chile powder, that's right.)

I canned a bunch of hot peppers last year, 25 minutes in the canner (@5000' above sea level). The heat is certainly there and flavour is great but they are really mushy. When I do them again I'm gonna try putting boiling brine on a packed jar then sealing, no time in the canner with a few jars ('cold' canning?), the rest I will only process for 5 minutes in the canner.

I smoked a bunch of habaneros earlier this year, just going to put them in a spice grinder and add a little sprinkle here and there.

Susan's post reminded me of something I did recently when someone gave me a bunch of those little green finger peppers. I took a bunch of empty bottles, put apple cider vinegar and a couple of peppers in them and threw them in the fridge. Now being an Eastern Carolina boy, that is good stuff to me. I use it on catfish, cabbage, rice, french fries...everything but pancakes.

I wish I had some of those peppers. I have tomatos out the yazoo and no hot pepper to go with 'em. My wife planted the tomatos and peppers this spring as I was out of town. The tomatos made it but the peppers didn't.

You can't go wrong with the old stuff 'em in a jar and fill it with cider vinegar. Especially the habaneros. That's what we always called pepper sauce.

Josh.....

I dry mine and then I grind them into powder. Use the WSM, cut the peppers in half and hold the heat around 150-160º(VERY easy to do!). Japs take a while to dry(thick walls) and the habs dry much quicker. I store in dark place and grind as needed.

All great ideas. I think I'll give them all a shot.

Susan, thanks for the book suggestion. I think I'll pick it up off eBay too.

Thanks once again everyone.

Josh

I have made some chipotles by taking the jalepenos, smoking them with a handfull of Kingford and a hand full of hickory, then dry them out good in a dehydrater. Then take your spice grinder outside and grind them up . This is an awsome addition to chilli powder.

You may ask your self, "why grind them outside".
That dust from the peppers will run you out of the house! So , I just go on out and grind away.

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back