Looking to switch to the new WSCG

MickS

TVWBB Member
I started with the WSM three years ago and liked it a lot. The end results were alway very good. I also had a Summit gas which died so I replaced it with a Genesis 330.

This last year I sold the WSM and went to a Kamado Joe Classic ceramic grill hoping for exceptional cooks. I like it except for it being only a 18"bowl and its weight. Cooks are very tasty but maybe not quite as good as the WSM?? I might add that I keep logs of all my cooks.

SO--I'm in the process of selling the Kamado Joe and anxiously waiting to bring my new WSCG home. I am hoping it really will be my grill for a lifetime. I'm investing a lot of $ and hoping the WSCG will give me the exceptional results I'm looking for. Any thoughts from you WSCG owners or prospective owners like me?

Thanks Mick
Chelsea MI

I am also getting one, just deciding between the grilling center or not. Looked at Kamado joes at Costco this weekend, no thanks, not buying anything Chinese made for a BBQ grill. I'll pay extra for the US engineering and quality workmanship.

Tony after using it a few times do you feel it is worth the price?

Yes!

Its all about the quality and upgrades.

Like the weber smokey mountain $299
Or the brinkmann smoker $40

People that buy and use the brinkmann will say they can do quality BBQ on it and will say the wsm is too expensive.

I agree with Tony R. The WSCG cooks like a dream and with the expansion rack the capacity is awesome.

What exceptional results are you looking for? If you want to consolidate cookers, it is a good option that won't disappoint. If you are looking for food that will magically taste *much* better... I doubt it.

Yes!

Its all about the quality and upgrades.

Like the weber smokey mountain $299
Or the brinkmann smoker $40

People that buy and use the brinkmann will say they can do quality BBQ on it and will say the wsm is too expensive.

I am glad you like it. I had the opportunity to see one in person at a local hardware store and it seemed really nice. I have not been able to cook on one or see one in action yet.

I agree with Tony R. The WSCG cooks like a dream and with the expansion rack the capacity is awesome.

In your honest opinion, Does the food taste better or the same comig off the WSCG vs Regular Kettle, can you even tell the difference?

In your honest opinion, Does the food taste better or the same comig off the WSCG vs Regular Kettle, can you even tell the difference?

It starts faster, there is more capacity, easier to hold temps for long cooks, uses less charcoal and the diffuser plate definitely makes it a better smoker than a kettle, and probably the WSM. It seals tight and when you open while smoking, you see all the moisture retained on the inside of the dome, so it may help with tenderness. Obviously, taste is determined by the quality and prep of the food and skill of operator. It does not magically make bad food taste good. Bad food on a kettle will be bad food on the WSCG.

Last edited:
The WSM has a grommet to feed the food and grill temperature probes through.
I guess you just lay the wires on the rim and close the dome on the WSCG???

Back