Looking into purchacing the 18.5 bullet

NeilK

TVWBB Member
For the past few months I have been contemplating buying the 26.75 kettle, but now I changed my mind and am thinking of the 18.5 bullet smoker. I do have a gas grill (sorry bout that) Pleas tell me I am making the right decision…I want to smoke ribs, chicken and pork shoulders thanks..today is my first day on this forum

Welcome! I got my 18.5 wsm about a year and a half ago and absolutely LOVE it. If I had it to do over again, about the only thing that I would do different is that I would probably go ahead and get the 22 wsm instead of the 18.5 for the extra space on the grate.

First of all, welcome! I have the 18.5” WSM and have been very happy with it. We are a family of three and sometimes six depending upon which son is where. As has been mentioned, the only drawback might be the grill surface is too small for some things. So far the 18.5” has more than satisfied our needs. I usually like to make side dishes on another grill while doing a smoke. It sounds like you have that problem already solved with your gasser. One question I have is why were you selecting the 26.75” kettle? Are you routinely cooking for larger groups? If so, then the 22” WSM may be the way to go. Just a word of caution however. Once you start smoking, I’ll bet you a beer this time next year you’ll have a kettle too. Good luck and let us know how you make out.

I thought that the 22 Kettle would be too small considering most of the grate is lost by using indirect cooking…It is just my wife and myself, and she doesn't eat meat so it is just for me! I would imagine the 18.5 is plenty big? right

Given that Neil, it sounds like the 18.5” WSM will be just fine. Regarding the 22” being too small for indirect, I have a Performer and 22” OTG and have never had a problem. Remember, there are a few ways to cook indirect. 

"Once you start smoking, I’ll bet you a beer this time next year you’ll have a kettle too. Good luck and let us know how you make out."
Agreed. My bullet is the best purchase I ever made. The 18" will be great for you. Use the gas grill for now. You may want a kettle in a year or so.

Never apologize for owning and using a Gas Grill. I have a Gasser, some smokers and a couple of charcoal grills. Each and every one serves a purpose...Including the Gasser. Its great for mid-week cooks after working all day and I often use mine on Saturday mornings for breakfast.

If it's just you, the 18 WSM is likely overkill. A 22 Kettle is fine. You can place 3 levels in a 22 Kettle and cook 4+ racks of ribs, 2 pork butts, 1 brisket, and 20+ chicken thighs.

Scroll down to post 9 on this thread where I showed 3 levels in a 22 Kettle and cooking 21 chicken thighs

Review this thread Longer Burn Process

also read Ring Of Fire

Alternatively a Mini WSM could also work for you.

Last edited:
I've owned my 18.5 WSM for a week now and have used it twice with great success. Don't think you can go wrong with it in my opinion. If it's just you and your wife, I suppose the 18.5 could be a little big but you never know what else you may want to throw on when you start smoking. So a little extra room may not be a bad thing.

Nothing wrong with a gasser as long as its sittin next to a charcoal kettle!! :D Just kidding. For two people the 18.5 WSM is the way to go!! For the cost of the 22.5 WSM you could get the 18.5 WSM AND a 22.5 OTG Kettle for only 60 bucks more!! You could even use the gasser once in a while!! :cool:

I have smoked butts, ribs, brisket and chicken on my 22" OTS using a Smokenator with a Hoovergrill. They even make a Smokenator for the 26". It can be done without the Smokenator but I liked it and still use it to this day for smaller cooks. Here is the website for the Smokenator http://www.smokenator.com/

Thank you all for your responses…this is a great forum and I appreciate all of your knowledge…today I bought a bag of hickory , cherry and apple chunks…next is to order the 18.5 wsm I can't wait to strt smoking!!… any thoughts as to a good pair of bbq gloves?

Thank you all for your responses…this is a great forum and I appreciate all of your knowledge…today I bought a bag of hickory , cherry and apple chunks…next is to order the 18.5 wsm I can't wait to strt smoking!!… any thoughts as to a good pair of bbq gloves?

I bought some from the Academy, opted for the higher priced $12.99 ones and was pleased with them this past weekend.

If you're looking online, can't go wrong with these. http://texasbbqrub.com/bbqgloves.htm

I went back and forth between the 26 and the 18.5 WSM and ended up with the WSM. The WSM is really awesome to use once you get the hang of it, and the amount of grill real estate between the 2 are almost identical. I'd still love to try cooking on a 26 just to see what it's like, but with the versatility of the WSM I can't see needing a 26 and my gasser. (Not that I don't want one!)

I have the 22.5 WSM and have been very happy. My two cents is if you have the room and can afford to buy the 22.5 then go with the bigger WSM. Either way I'll bet you a beer you will be very happy with it!:wsm:

I have the 22.5 WSM and have been very happy. My two cents is if you have the room and can afford to buy the 22.5 then go with the bigger WSM. Either way I'll bet you a beer you will be very happy with it!:wsm:

I agree with Jeff (a fellow Tarheel), there are only two in our household, and i also have a Weber Gasser, i would buy the 22 WSM if i had it to do over again, for two simple reasons, you can lay your ribs flat on it, and if you ever decide to do a full packer you will be glad for the extra real estate. I have had my 18.5 for just over a year and i love it, but i am already trying to butter up the lady who controls the purse strings to upgrade to the 22. But either way you will get a lot of enjoyment out of either choice.

On gloves, I did the EXACT same thing as Jon Powell. I thought about buying them from texasbbqrub.com but ended up getting the ones at Academy that were the higher priced of the two available. I've been very pleased with them. I've also been very happy with the rubs from texasbbqrub.

Back