looking fora good first competition in or around New Jerseyto enter

TimD

Was wondering if anyone knows of a good first contest for someone living in New Jersey. Something maybe with a backyard category.

Cheers
Tim

If you can wait until September there is the Warren Twnshp. backyarder at the Mt. Bethel Firehouse. Small comp, just chicken and ribs, an hour between turn-ins. First contest I ever did, have done it each of the last three years. Always a good time. No prize money, just ribbons for the category winners (first thru third) and a fireman's helmet for the GC. Small donation to the fire company for the entry fee, the last three years it has been $75, can't say if it will stay the same but I'd bet it will. Feel free to PM me for more info.

I just got info on a contest on Father's Day Saturday in eastern PA. I will post details later tonight.

David

Hey Tim.

I'm from Cresskill (now living in Dumont).
This is the 3rd year for this KCBS comp in Cresskill. Looks like they've just set the dates (late September 24 25 26?) check the FB page. LINK
They also have just a rib cook-off and some classes ($$) if you want them.

I haven't entered in these. Looks legit. Close to home. I might try it out this year.

My home is 1/4 mile west of the site... so even if I don't enter, keep me posted. I would gladly be a go-fer if you need one or forget something that I can run down the hill to you.

I've competed in the KCBS comp. in Cresskill each of the last two years, took 2nd in ribs there in 2013. It's a full blown KCBS event with several top tier teams and is run by the guys from 3 Men and a Baby Back. Not sure I would recommend for a first timer. I don't think they had the rib cook off in 2014 but they did for sure in 2013. I got an email saying they were looking for participants for a steak grill off for the first day.

I've competed in the KCBS comp. in Cresskill each of the last two years, took 2nd in ribs there in 2013. It's a full blown KCBS event with several top tier teams and is run by the guys from 3 Men and a Baby Back. Not sure I would recommend for a first timer. I don't think they had the rib cook off in 2014 but they did for sure in 2013. I got an email saying they were looking for participants for a steak grill off for the first day.

Thanks for the info and heads up. Can you PM me the info for that steak grill off?
Like I offered to Tim, don't be a stranger if you're competing again. I'd love to stop by.
-Joe

Back