Looking for Royal Oak Lump in Illinois....

Been trying to find where to get some RO Lump in east central Illinois....Champaign, Danville area...I found some RO Steak House at Menards and have been using it to grill with over the winter with my lil' Smokey Joe Silver...Never used lump before, really like it, but am looking to use for my RO Lump with my 22" performer and also with my WSM this spring..if it ever gets here....

tks

The steak house lump replaced the regular lump last summer! Seems to be about the same!
icon_cool.gif

I would check the following resources:

-Wally World (last 2 times I bought it, that's where it came from)

-Menard's (if there's one in your area)

-Try posting a qustion on Prof. Wiviott's site - he seems to cater to a group in N. IL triple-w-dot-wiviott-dot-com.

Royal Oak has several kinds - the stuff that's made in the US is supposed to be the best for flavor.

Otherwise, check with Grove Charcoal - a high-quality lump made in East Central WI. They may have a distributor in your area:
Phone: (920) 668 - 8080
(I don't think they have a web-site.)

I have used Royal Oak a few times (purchased at Wal-Mart) and the stuff burns too quick for me. Not to mention you don’t get any "good Chunks" in a bag. (Like you would with Larzari)

Also, the pieces have no weight. They are light as a feather!!

Anyone like using this stuff?

i like the ro lump. works great for me. lazzari is good stuff. just depends on what you need to get done.

Originally posted by Tim Harris Sr.:
I have used Royal Oak a few times (purchased at Wal-Mart) and the stuff burns too quick for me. Not to mention you don’t get any "good Chunks" in a bag. (Like you would with Larzari)

Also, the pieces have no weight. They are light as a feather!!

Anyone like using this stuff?

Originally posted by Bradley Bruns:
You can try GFS (Gordon Food Service).
Their GFS lump is supposedly made by Royal Oak.
Yes to GFS and Yes it is RO lump. Works just fine and is cheaper than the branded RO.
icon_wink.gif

I buy all mine at Wal Mart but I havent been back to see if they keep it in stock durring the winter.

I like the RO, but thats not saying much because I havent tried anything else for lump, however, as far as size, I tend to like the smaller chunks. They pack much more tightly then large pieces, and I always end up breaking the large pieces down or using them as lit.

I have been using the RO lump for a couple years and really like it. I get mine from my brother, who owns a couple restaurants. Sysco (foodservice distributor out of WI) sells it in 20 lb bags for real cheap, so I have him order it for me and then I pay him for it. I have bought some at the Menards here in Bloomington, but it was also the Steakhouse kind, which seemed to be pretty much the same. The bigger bags that I get from Sysco seem to have bigger pieces in it though. I know Lowes sells Cowboy fireworks lump, which can work in a pinch, but have your flame retardant suit ready!

Hey, thanks everyone...I checked at Big R north over the weekend for RO Lump but didn't have any. Maybe it's too early...but keep looking, if anyone see's any RO lump in the Danville - Champaing - even Watseka area all in Illinois, let me know...

My last bag of RO Steakhouse lump had multiple piece of charred building insulation and a couple of good sized rocks included at no extra charge. It was a surprise as I had never found this kind of stuff in lump before. Save big money.

Back