Looking for good Brisket in Boston, MA area

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I'm on the lookout for some good Brisket. I live on the North Shore area and I can't find anything decent. The closest thing I could find was at BJ's. They have 4 to 5 lbers w/o any real fat cap to speak of. I've tried those a couple of times using advice from this board but I can't keep it from drying out. I'd like to find at least an 8/9 lber with some fat cap on it.

Did you ask if they had any in the back? Call them, if not. I've gotten them at a couple Stop&Shops in eastern Mass and Conn but only by asking. Whole Foods is another option.

Bill, you might have to try some local "neighborhood" type markets or a local meat packer. Sometimes I have trouble finding nice pork butts around here, but I can get nice double butt cryovacs at a smaller grocer in Hartford. Brisket I usually order from the local meat packer, they're usually about 10-14 pounds....

Like Kevin says, Stop&Shop could be an option, maybe Shaw's or Star market (or is that the same as Shaw's now?). Let your finger's do the walkin'.....

Rob

Rob
What grocer in Hartford are you talking about? I'll be in the area this weekend and I'd like to check it out.

Steve

Steve, I go to D&D market at 276 Franklin ave. If you look in th Courant's food section (on thursday) they have an ad on the bottom right on one of the pages. When they put the butts on sale ($1.19/#), I grab a whole bunch and throw 'em in the freezer. Ya might want to call them first to double check what they have - 860-296-3261. Closed on Sunday.

Man, you are right up the street from me, where are you in Vernon? Or is it Storrs? Havin' a little trouble figurin' that out.....

Rob

Thanks for the info Rob, I'll be sure to check it out.

I actually split time between Storrs (school) and Vernon (home - right off Route 30 in Vernon Center). Wouldn't be surprised if I'm the youngest on the boards.

Steve

Steve, you can go to Bogner's also. they have a store now on rte 30 where that industrial park is on the hill....their main store is in manchester on hartford road just down the street from mcc....

Rob

I've gotten loin backs as well as a brisket from Bogner's. It's such a convenient location, but I'm relatively inexperienced and wasn't sure if the prices were good. I'll check out their price for pork butt before I go to Hartford.

Thanks for the help Rob.

Bill,
I'll seen some larger flats at a Costco in Nashua. I don't know what would be up in the Cape Ann area. I get some good flats thru the commissary at Hanscom AFB, and I got a packer at a meat wholesaler in Central Mass. Maybe a Mkt. Basket might have some if you ask the head butcher. We're not living in a hardcore BBQ area like some other parts of the country. I'm still trying to find a good local source for lump charcoal. Good luck and keep smokin!!

Bill W,
I don't have any great sources for brisket. I think it comes with not living in a hardcore BBQ region of the country. I've gotten some good flats at the commissary at Hanscom AFB, and seen some decent ones at a Costco in Nashua. I don't know if you have one in the Cape Ann area. A Market Basket might be able to get you one if you go to the head butcher. I've heard they have good meat in general. I'm still trying to find a good local source for lump. Good luck and keep smokin!!

Thanks for the responses guys. I haven't tried the Costco yet so I'll have to stick my head in there. I'll also ask the grocer butchers to see what they say. I'm not aware of any old school butcher shops in the area. I'll have to do some digging.

Erich K,
There's a good BBQ store in Gloucester that always has lump. They also have a good varity of "flavoring" wood chunks in the summer.

Back