Looking for brisket marinade help

Frank S

TVWBB Super Fan
I have made 3 or 4 briskets so far and have been pretty pleased with the results, mainly due to the tips and advice that I have picked up form TVWB. However, I feel that the briskets are lacking in flavor throughout the cut. I would like to try a marinade or injection product to help provide flavor through the meat. What do you guys use?

Neither. I take some of the juices that the brisket throws off, defat them, add a bit of good beef stock and a little butter, and emulsify with a touch of Dijon. This I paint on the slices (both sides) as I slice.

If you're looking to boost extant flavors try an injection. A suggestion: start with a good beef stock that you can reduce or, barring that, a 75-25 mix of quality canned low-salt chicken stock plus quality canned beef stock (straight canned beef is too metallic; don't worry, the chicken will add meaty notes, not chicken-y ones). Boost meatiness/umami by adding dried mushrooms and add complementary notes and a bit of sweetness by adding aromatics (onion, garlic, shallot, a teeny piece of ginger perhaps), and add a little rub (without sugar or salt). Go on the lighter side with the aromatic and rub additions as you'll want to blend all then reduce in a pot till a good level of saltiness is achieved. Cool, strain out the solids, then tighten with xanthan or emulsify with a little clarified butter, whole butter, or oil, and a touch of Dijon.

Just a thought.

You could probably use this as a marinade but I injected it instead. Beef broth, Worcestershire sauce, crushed garlic and pepper. I let it set overnight, strained it and then injected it.

Brisket is the main dish around my house. I use a lot of dry rub and worchestire on my briskets, and put more dry rub and wood for smoke on at the half way point of my smokes. Additionally, you could toss some more dry on the meat as you slice the flat and chop/pull the point.

There's usually so much juice in my foil (after resting, I don't foil brisket during the cook) that I'll pour it over the meat after sliced and chopped. Ok, I'm officially hungry now and have already finished the 16 lb'r I smoke last weekend. Time for a run to get more packers!

Back