Looking for basic grate for Summit Kamado

MichaelF

Looking for something similar to Weber Part Number: #7435. I just want a basic grate with no hinges or center cutout. Anyone have any ideas? First cook on the Summit Kamado today and I am HOOKED. Buddy is picking up the old kettle and WSM tomorrow. Only having one grill in the garage and the easy cleanup for the win.

smokeware has a 24 inch 304 SS grate that is plain jane, doesn't even have handles.

Looking for something similar to Weber Part Number: #7435. I just want a basic grate with no hinges or center cutout. Anyone have any ideas? First cook on the Summit Kamado today and I am HOOKED. Buddy is picking up the old kettle and WSM tomorrow. Only having one grill in the garage and the easy cleanup for the win.

smokeware has a 24 inch 304 SS grate that is plain jane, doesn't even have handles.

Thanks for the info! I am a weirdo and actually like the handles :)

This is perfect! Spendy, but exactly what I want. Thanks all!

@Shane - glitchy , I think he has a link to one IIRC. solid, no hinges, quality steel product.

Welcome to the WSC/K Club. There's a bunch of us here doing great things with this cooker.

Post your cook pics and questions. Lots of responses will unfold for you.

Edit: I correct myself, here: https://tvwbb.com/threads/breaking-in-the-killagrilla-grate-rack-for-summit-kamado.90342/

@SSmith , he had the new solid grates.
Thanks for the warm welcome! Amazing group. Really got me into the WSM and now onto the WSC/K. Ribs going on today. Y'all are the best.

I have the Smokeware grate. I used it once and went back to the factory grate. It’s a tight fit and I use my SnS low profile and vortex with the Kamado. What I’d really like is a 24” grate with handles and one hinged side, no center cut out.

Last edited:
Ordered! Already got shipping info. Just don't tell the wife what I spent on the darn thing. Ha. I plan on having this thing forever so it's all good.
I am not sure if you have researched Weberitis yet, but I think you have a few of the symptoms already, and there is NO cure!!! Welcome to the group!

I am not sure if you have researched Weberitis yet, but I think you have a few of the symptoms already, and there is NO cure!!! Welcome to the group!
I think you're onto something! Picked up the Weber charcoal rake and rib rack today as well. I mean I have always been a Weber guy, but this WSC/K is really taking it to the next level.

Sounds like something that I NEEDS not WANTS!
call you local metal fab shop. here's what you need to order:
A36 grade steel
3/8" thick
14.25" x 16"
beveled edges all around

should run around $60-65 completed

once you get it home, wash it with soap and water and dry it off. once dry, oil both sides with a high heat cooking oil. then place on a grill and burn off the oil to build a carbon layer. repeat the oiling a few times to help build a protective coat on it. once it's seasoned, you're ready to use and enjoy it.

pizzas, smash burgers, grilled veggies, whatever you want to cook on a flat top.

after use, and when it's still hot, use tongs to hold a washcloth or bunch of paper towels and spray water on to wipe it off. it's very hot so DON'T touch it. after wiping it down, just re-oil that washed surface and reseal it. enjoy!

A36 grade steel
3/8" thick
14.25" x 16"
beveled edges all around

should run around $60-65 completed

once you get it home, wash it with soap and water and dry it off. once dry, oil both sides with a high heat cooking oil. then place on a grill and burn off the oil to build a carbon layer. repeat the oiling a few times to help build a protective coat on it. once it's seasoned, you're ready to use and enjoy it.

pizzas, smash burgers, grilled veggies, whatever you want to cook on a flat top.

after use, and when it's still hot, use tongs to hold a washcloth or bunch of paper towels and spray water on to wipe it off. it's very hot so DON'T touch it. after wiping it down, just re-oil that washed surface and reseal it. enjoy!
I'm on it! Cooked up some ribs and chicken last night and I am still amazed at this cooker. So glad I bought a Pit Viper! Kidding. It did not turn on ONCE. The thing stayed right on 225 and the vents were not even open. Cleaned up this morning and laughed at how easy that was as well. Completely happy. Had to tell you folks since the wife is already sick of me talking about it this morning. LOL.

A36 grade steel
3/8" thick
14.25" x 16"
beveled edges all around
Getting a Pizza steel / griddle plate for my WSC, has been on my mind for a while now. Any advantage to rectangular vs round?
I thought of a round, 22 inch plate. Leaving a one inch gap all around it for air flow.
Yair

Getting a Pizza steel / griddle plate for my WSC, has been on my mind for a while now. Any advantage to rectangular vs round?
I thought of a round, 22 inch plate. Leaving a one inch gap all around it for air flow.
Yair
Weight. I’m afraid the 22” round is too heavy for the grate deck. Also, IMO, that’s a huge pie you’d be making, say 18” or 20” in a residential setting. 14” pies are manageable for pizza enthusiasts like us. Going larger becomes unwieldy in a non-commercial kitchen.

I did my research off of Amazon, as in what was for sale, and I mimicked the best of what I saw and wanted in my steel.

3/8 inch is the sweet spot too. It holds and retains a good heat level so making multiple pies doesn’t result in heat loss like a stone does. 1/2 inch is just too heavy and not necessary IMO.

I also like that I can offset my size steel so that I can open one of the side lifts on the OEM grate to add small oak chunks into the cook per pizza. This gives a nice smoke flavor to each cooking pie.

Lemme know your thoughts why you want the 22 and we can discuss further. IIRC my steel is 22-24 pounds weight. It’s quite heavy. We call it the toe amputation device. Drop it on your foot and you’re losing a toe for sure.

Brett, these are good points, I did not considered the weight. I prefer a round shape for two reasons, asthetics and practical usage of the grill area, not worrying about food falling off the edge. I may try a lighter, 1/4" thick plate. Your idea of leaving the option to add wood is appealing.
How about a 24" two-thirds of a circle made of 1/4" plate? That is a 24" circle, cut at the 16" mark, removing a third of its' width.
A rough back-of-the-envelope calculation gives me 23 pounds, assuming that the removed 8" piece is about 30% of the area.

1/4" plate is 10.2 lb/ft2
Full 24" circle area ~ 3.14×1 ~ 32lb
70% of that area is approximally 23lb

Back