Looking for basic grate for Summit Kamado

Brett, these are good points, I did not considered the weight. I prefer a round shape for two reasons, asthetics and practical usage of the grill area, not worrying about food falling off the edge. I may try a lighter, 1/4" thick plate. Your idea of leaving the option to add wood is appealing.
How about a 24" two-thirds of a circle made of 1/4" plate? That is a 24" circle, cut at the 16" mark, removing a third of its' width.
A rough back-of-the-envelope calculation gives me 23 pounds, assuming that the removed 8" piece is about 30% of the area.

1/4" plate is 10.2 lb/ft2
Full 24" circle area ~ 3.14×1 ~ 32lb
70% of that area is approximally 23lb
Depends what you want to cook on it.

If pizza, what diameter do you have left to make pizzas on?

And 1/4” plate will lose more heat than 3/8” will when making pizzas.

I did get my steel specifically for pizza making with a target maximum size pie of 14”. All my reading led me to this being the proper thickness and size for these personal sized pizzas. Of which, an average human can comfortably eat a 12” pizza. The 14” is very filling and often we have 1-2 leftover slices from a 14” pie.

I only leave my steel in the E6 for pizza making. Otherwise it’s sitting in my Summit S670 sleeping.

Share with what you want to cook on your steel so I can better understand your desired use model.

I plan to use it both as a griddle and for Pizza/bread.
Your plate looks like a good size. I have a Genesis silver b. I guess a rectangular shape can be usefull there as well.

Thing showed up today and it is PERFECT! Exactly what I wanted. Built like a tank as well. Got it in like 2 days! Thanks again :)

Back