Looking for advice on grilling my first turkey!

Jeff P.

I just picked up a OTP and love the 22.5" size over my old OTS 18.5". I am going to be cooking a 15lb. turkey for Christmas dinner this year and would like some advice as to how I should set up my grill for this. Also, should I smoke the turkey or just cook it indirectly? Also looking for recommendations on rubs, spices, etc. to use on the turkey. Any ideas/advice you guys can give me would be great!

Regards,
Jeff

I recommend first that you brine the bird for about 24 hours if possible. Cook it indirect with some wood chunks added. Use any rub you really like. I prefer to use some Billy Bones XXX cherry with some of his original rub.

The best adivce is right here on this site. I have followed the proceedures from Chris' write up on apple brine turkey for several years and it has never left me down. Although you won't be doing it on a WSM, you can follow the same basic process using your charcoal basket holders for indirect grilling especially since you are maintaining temps in the 325-350 range.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Turkey.jpg

Google " Apple-brined turkey with big time gravy". It's from Jamie Purviance, and I've done it many times on the OTG and it's always a hit.

Tim

Jeff, if wet brining isn't an option you might want to consider dry brining. In a nutshell it's basically salting/seasoning the meat ahead of time; I've done it before with good results.

Add a few chunks of wood. I typically use apple, but a few weeks ago, I tried some pecan (on a brined bird), and it was awesome. It's a bit different than a traditional turkey, but it is delicious!

Thanks for the suggestions! I am going to try the "Apple-brined turkey with big time gravy" recipe. I talked to a local meat specialty store and they can get me a fresh, natural turkey from a local free range turkey farm! On a side note, the recipe calls to brine the turkey for 18-24 hours, but a guy at work who smokes a lot of meats on his Traeger told me to brine 48-72 hours. How long should I brine? Thanks!

Jeff

personally, i would start simple and then work your way up. buy a cheap smallish turkey and just cook that. once you get the setup right then you can start getting fancy. but do it one step at a time so you can see what works and what doesn't. after some experimenting i decided i didn't like brined turkey. so find what yer level is through small steps and practice.

I just picked up a OTP and love the 22.5" size over my old OTS 18.5". I am going to be cooking a 15lb. turkey for Christmas dinner this year and would like some advice as to how I should set up my grill for this. Also, should I smoke the turkey or just cook it indirectly? Also looking for recommendations on rubs, spices, etc. to use on the turkey. Any ideas/advice you guys can give me would be great!

Regards,
Jeff

I have done many turkeys on the 22" and one on my new WSM. It is easy on either if you do your homework. You are going to need the charcoal baskets to separate the coals, a rectangular disposable water/drip pan and I am pretty sure your OTG has the grill with the sides that lift so that you can add more charcoal if needed.

I typically go with a small bird as they cook quicker and frankly the extra weight doesn't translate to more meat (my opinion). Look for something in the 11-13lb range so you can be done in a few hours. If you do not want the hassle of brining, you can buy a salt brined turkey from Trader Joe's (about $2lb) May seem pricey but it will save you a lot of time and effort. They only come fresh so no defrosting!

Just Google cooking a turkey on a Weber and watch the videos or read the instructions. It is easy as long as you follow the steps. Look around on this site as there is more here than you will ever need. Good luck. If you have any questions you can always PM me if you want.

It will go well, trust me - and I don't even sell cars...

The best turkeys I have ever had were brined. The always come out perfect. I would guess if you got bad results with brining you must be doing something wrong. I do my turkeys on the 22 kettle. They are as good as it gets...

Brian

Did the turkey today and it turned out GREAT!!! I have never eaten a turkey with as much flavor as this one had... truly amazing! Thanks for all the advice and great links! Merry Christmas!

Jeff

Congrats, Jeff! Weber and turkey - A marriage made in heaven! :D

Did the turkey today and it turned out GREAT!!! I have never eaten a turkey with as much flavor as this one had... truly amazing! Thanks for all the advice and great links! Merry Christmas!

Jeff

Back