Looking for a basic but "solid" pulled pork sauce

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I'm making some pulled pork for a camping trip this weekend and I'm kind of in a rut sauce-wise. At this point I've been using the Mr. Brown rub and I really like that a lot but I'm stuck on the sauce. I've tried a few of the NC style recipes on this board and they've been either too hot or too sweet. At this point I've just been smearing Stubb's or Sweet Baby Ray's hot as a base and it seems to please the end users but not me.

Here in New England BBQ sauce is red. Which is fine for ribs and such but I prefer the mustardy/vinegary NC style sauce for pulled pork.

I'd like to have a base sauce that is really tangy and is slightly sweet and slightly hot. Then I could have either Stubbs or SBR's or more of the homemade stuff as a topping sauce.

Anybody willing to part with some good recipes for me?

Try this Bill. I have been serving this on my pulled pork for the last 2 months and everyone seems to like it. You can adjust the heat to your liking.

Dan

Memphis Magic BBQ Sauce

3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup minced onion
1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup tomato sauce
1/4 Cup worcestershire sauce
2 Teaspoons sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 Teaspoon cayenne
Dash tabasco sauce

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onions begin to turn golden. Stir in the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the mixture thickens, approximately 20 minutes. Stir frequently.

Here's a mustard sauce as best as I can recall from memory:

2 Cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup of brown sugar (more to taste if you'd like)
2 TBS cider vinegar
2 TBS tomato paste (about 3/4 of a small can)2
1 TBS worcestershire sauce
1 tsp granulated garlic (or more to taste)
1 tsp ground pepper (or to taste)
1 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)

Mix all ingredients, place over low heat. Simmer for 10 to 30 minutes. The longer it simmers the more the paste breaks down. Will have a nice rich golden hue. You can ajust the sweetness with some extra brown sugar and for heat with cayenne. I usually use chipotle powder in place of cayenne. Wish I could remember the source, but I can't. This is simple, quick, and always gets many great comments.

Thanks guys. I ended up using Joe's recipe because I had those ingredients. The sauce seems pretty good. We'll see how it tastes on the pork tonight. I'll try the Memphis Magic next time.

Back