Look what I got today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
Someone put an ad on CL to sell this grill. It was located at a flea Market about 35 miles from me. Even though I don't need anymore grills, I saw it and had to have it. It is in very good shape and is a 1988 model though I'm not sure what this model was called. I paid $35 for it and the only thing I did was put a new sweep system in it and swapped out the original thermometer for a newer version I had laying around. I also put mineral oil on the wooden handles which are still in good shape.

Here are some pictures. What did they call this version?
005-4.jpg

006-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

002-6.jpg

001-7.jpg

Wayne

I'm glad someone from this board got it. I entertained, and couldn't justify the trip down to pick it up for the awesome price they wanted. Looks even better in your pictures than in the original internet posting.

For the record, that short tab on the right in the 4th picture is assembled incorrectly. That tab goes on the outside of the bowl to keep the edge of the lid from scratching the bowl when slid down in the holder.

And why do you keep cats caged up with chickens?

I tried taking off the nut that holds that tab on but it is rusted pretty good and the slot in the outside screw is kind of messed up so you can't really use a screwdriver in it. What would be a good way to remove this bolt and nut without damaging the bowl.?

I got lucky on getting it because they advertised it in the evening and I called the next morning and it was still there so I went to see it and it was in great shape at a good price.

As far as the cats and chickens, if you look closely at the top of the picture, you can see that the gate is open so the cats can wander in and out during the day. At night, the chicken coop is closed up and the gate of the pen is closed as well. They all get along pretty good for the most part.

Wayne

I use a cut off tool or a cheap Harbor Freight grinder with a cut off blade in it.
You can put some masking tape around the nut, so if you get too close, it doesn't scratch the bowl. Maybe a nut splitter?

I thought about the nut splitter route and will probably have to go that way since the slot on the outside bolt is messed up to the point where a straight blade screwdriver will not stay in it. I will try to find a nut splitter locally. Thanks.

Wayne

What AJ S said. Try cutting slots into the nut on the inside to look like a philips head. Go down as for as you can and more than likely this will break it off.

I do have a dremel tool and is what I used to cut off the old one touch system. I like the nut splitter idea the best but I may give the dremel a try. I'm always worried that it will get away and mess up the bowl.

Wayne

I'll "second" the Dremel:

I've been amazed at the stuff that I've been able to cut off with those small (about 2" diameter) abrasive cut-off wheels. Sometimes, it takes a while and 2-3 discs, but with a little patience, they always seem to do the job. (I think that Sears even stocks some fiber-reinforced cutoff wheels, which are less prone to breaking and flying towards your SAFETY GLASSES.)

A lot of times, those cut-off wheels also do a good job of "converting" stripped Philips and other screw heads into slotted - where you can get some leverage on 'em with a big ol' two-fister screwdriver!

Hope this helps

Originally posted by Vincent On:
that is a beautiful grill.

Vincent.

Thanks, I thought so too when I first saw it. It didn't take me long to decide it was well worth the $35 asking price. I now have three red 22.5 Weber Kettles. I need to start selling some grills as I have too many. LOL

Wayne

I finally got the nut off that was holding the tab on that was on the inside of the bowl instead of the outside. The nut splitter did not work so I had to use the dremel with the cutoff wheel to cut the nut off.

It is now assembled correctly. I still have not cooked on it yet since it has been so cold out and I have been very busy.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back