Look what I found!

D Livingston

TVWBB Fan
No, not some antique Kettle or anything like that. And this has absolutely nothing to do with grilling or smoking.

We've been in the new house (new to us, it was actually built in 1938) for a little over a month and yesterday I went through changing the HVAC filters. One unit is in the attic above the garage and being the first time in the attic, after replacing that filter I decided to look around to see what kind of interesting things the previous owners may have left. Shining a flashlight up into the cupola, what do I find? A bell! We have a bell!!

y4m-aEUx_EFMNUkIbiSdYSxp4Ixe_525YNw--2Oeiy8BUGlNPafbEu58HhCwfvcj4XIjfDyz5MKOzKSDN3CQPPHHDs1g4FR3OTUormg4260U-Isr_UwT1YEBhsmqteQ3bcXK-UH_pOuoucmkm2fo9FfqvDgJij5PLtIg0oBUUXx9fov6MAwYHgtCjJ-We_QorellES9eukZHhBC4r0z04dq2Q

I mean sure, the Zillow description of the house mentioned a bell cupola, but I never thought about it actually having a bell in it. I had originally thought that the big patio and the fancy oven and cook top were the coolest parts of the new house. Now I'm not so sure.

Maybe your house was a school house or church at one point in it's history
You are not the only one to mention that since I found the bell. We are in a historic district and there is a lot of information about the houses in the neighborhood in a book. So we know it did not used to be a school or church (heck, I think it lists all of the owners in the home's history). It is a colonial revival that was designed for a couple who liked a specific house in Colonial Williamsburg and requested a similar design for this house. They lived in it for close to 50 years.

That's pretty cool, Doc! So maybe the people who built the house included a bell just because there was one in the house they used for inspiration?

That is cool. I built a bell tower for a bank in Plainfield Il.
I'd like to see some pics from the outside of yours.
Tim

Well?? Didja ring it?!?

Of course. Though the crank got stuck on the plywood surrounding it, so only once. Then I had to find a pole to free it up.

That is cool. I built a bell tower for a bank in Plainfield Il.
I'd like to see some pics from the outside of yours.
Tim

The only one I have where it is visible (that I took) is this one at night. You can't see it real well, but it is to the right of the chimney. Forgive the step ladder rigging. The light fixture was not attached well to the wall so I added some sealant/adhesive and I used that to help hold it in place while that set.

y4mZsnBAtzZcgpVfe29Uf8iR3we-hL6XYDC5kniysHlFdv7DUI9MOML7nd53ASuGjb1_7Hs1rIxQitxHGL8xCG6fG3swABdW-Sl7ZoGDUBsV8lGgt99Bn0zzDe3XwSG95RWikRcbml8fs75s-j3Sju5eKrXlDCayr_C_7VjSJf-ic_vz77PRbXRwp17kAz_1IWGxeLplJSeT9Q2biD62Aq-1w

Here is a picture from before we bought it that was on one of those realty websites. You can see it much better here.

y4mJIBlhPGiCqce0Mm9fxgSZYwwQx77hbLqTzTcCypEm-hRpmOV4qUuEky6h1PEuMVDkg7KdxniAa_26UW2sKVUYb0HcxZygHAqijFuXzKqruJmTLN7BP631DZa3mVgrWsK4zFZRDu6bze0_Inrd00a5dY-eGE5VaZYPrZDIrG8GWH_FadTDgRIz79Yy7wu-C_wMCTBJVQGSRuolfXYe6D9kQ

You'd better check with your local government to make sure there isn't some archaic law requiring you to ring the bell whenever there's some sort of trouble...;)

That is a nice piece of history. Looks like they sealed the louvers from the inside with plywood or boards ( hard to tell) Prolly for rain.
That copper roof line is what we call a witches hat.

Tim

Back