Long term durability of stainless steel vs porcelain-enameled lid?

Len Anthony

Hello,

I am considering the S-330 and S-420. The porcelain-enameled Genesis I have now is about 12 years old and looks brand new. I keep it covered whenever I am not using it and clean it after each use. I am looking to upgrade now and really like the looks of the S-330 and S-420. Can anyone comment as to how the stainless steel models hold up over time (rust, etc.)? I have also read where a few people have said not to cover your grill. I currently use a Weber brand cover on my grill and have never had an issue with rust or corrosion. I live in Connecticut and we do get some humid weather in the summer months. Thanks for any input.

I have a porcelain 1999 Genesis 1000 that looks like new also. I had one stainless grill and it was a pain to keep clean, the rust part I can't say, I live in Arizona where rust isn't allowed.

I find the porcelain coated steel much easier to keep clean than the brushed stainless steel. Just look at all of the 10,20, even 30 year old restorations on here. The porcelain always cleans up nicely.

Thanks for the replies. However, is there anyone out there with a stainless Weber that is at least a few years old that can comment on durability? Thanks in advance!

I now have four 2004ish Summit Silvers (yes, i know i have a problem). Their SS lids are a lot more work to keep clean than my 1996 Genesis 5000 porcelain lid.
The Summit lids have no rust problems, but the fireboxes are not completely cast Aluminium like the Genesis, and do corrode over time. Spare parts for the older Summit fireboxes are not available.

I have a 2007? Summit that is rusted all to hell with the exception of the stainless steel and aluminum components. The stainless steel doesn't have a corrosion issue, but it is hard to keep clean.

I have a Genesis Gold B in stainless that I think is about 14 years old now or there abouts. The cover was a pain
to put on and take off, and collected moisture so I quit using it after a month or so. In all that time I have cleaned
the stainless lid and sideburner cover with 3M Stainless Steel Cleaner one time. It gets wiped down with a wet cloth
to get the dust clean. It requires no special treatment and still looks great after all this time. I would not hesitate to
buy another in stainless if I were looking. It is a very nice gas grill.

My stainless grill is at least 15 years old. No appreciable wear. But as others have said, a bit more work to keep clean. But does look nice!

Back