Long cook - what to do

David R

TVWBB Member
I've got two pork butts to do and I want them to finish by Monday at 6pm. They're both ~ 10 lbs.

I'd rather not be up all night. Are either of these possible?

Smoke em for 10 hours Sunday, then put them in the fridge overnight and finish them on Monday?

Start them in the oven Sunday night and finish them on the smoker Monday?

Something else?

David,put them on just before bed time Sunday night. Once you get the temps steady,go to bed. The WSM will hold temps for many hours. Get up Monday, and take them off when tender. If they get done early,wrap in HD foil and put them in a cooler until serving time. They will stay warm for a long time,3-4 hours. Shred and serve. Cooking part way,then putting in fridge,then cooking the rest of the way is a good way to invite nasty food poisoning in and ruining everyones day. HTH PS-I've done overnight cooks on several occassions. Zero problems. The WSM rules!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Phil Perrin:
David,put them on just before bed time Sunday night. Once you get the temps steady,go to bed. The WSM will hold temps for many hours. Get up Monday, and take them off when tender. If they get done early,wrap in HD foil and put them in a cooler until serving time. They will stay warm for a long time,3-4 hours. Shred and serve. Cooking part way,then putting in fridge,then cooking the rest of the way is a good way to invite nasty food poisoning in and ruining everyones day. HTH PS-I've done overnight cooks on several occassions. Zero problems. The WSM rules! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
How long did you let it go by itself?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul R:
How about smoking on sunday and finish in the oven sunday night.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keep it warm until dinner or reheat later?

Don't know how old you are, but i always take a wee stroll [pun intended] about 4 am. When i do and if I'm smoking then I check my temps and adjust as necessary.

Properly loaded WSM will keep temp for at least 8 hours in my experience....really is set it and forget it. My last overnight temps temps stabilized after about 90 minutes (MM start), I went to bed at 11 and at 7 it was still at temp with no adjustments necessary (although I did check in the middle of the night - love that ET-73).

David,sorry it took so long to get back with you. I let it go all night. Started it about 9-9:30,went to bed about 11,slept all night,then got up at 7 and checked it when I let the dogs out. Everything was ok. And there is nothing better than smelling BBQ first thing in the mornning!

There's nothing like actually trying something. ;-)

What I learned is that in chicago on the first day of winter, a full ring of lump lasts only 4 hours. The pan goes dry in about 3 hours.

I use lump. There's less ash, and in the winter around here the SM won't get above 225 otherwise.

I have a 22" WSM. I did two butts overnight last week. Full ring of Kingsford blue, outside temp average 13 degrees F, no wind. Cook lasted 18 hours to get the butts to 195. I let the charcoal continue to burn after taking the butts off. Did not see a temp drop in the cooker until hour 21. Cooked at 225, rested in cooler for 4 hours.

Back