London Broil on the WSM?

Ian S. (the M18)

TVWBB Member
I got a 2.5lb London Broil from my butcher, in the freezer now, was curious if how it would come out on the smoker or if it is job best left for the grill. Any help would be appreciated.

cooking it on the smoker is great......i think i ran the wsm at around 350 until it was 125 internal.....with a little cherry wood and hickory.. it was great... it can be done...

i really dont think it would benifit much from low and slow but it wouldnt do any harm....i say cook it high...

good luck

I thought that someone was gonna say it was better off on the grill...so I was honostly hoping to myself that someone would tell me to smoke it. Heh heh...so you said the magic word.

What method would you recommend for a cut like a london broil?

P.S. I just noticed that you are from Queens, I was just listening to the Ramones as I was typing this reply...weird

im trying to remember how i did it.. either i did one full weber chimney or i put two in....either way....

load up your charcoal, i put the pan in empty covered with foil....put some fresh garlic and herbs on the london broil and just cooked it till 125 internal...

hey...plenty of meat...try it every which way and find out wich way you prefer it....good idea eh?!?!

its all a matter of preference...good luck

Ian, Every cooking post of yours is filled with disaster lets see if we can figure out what going wrong. Tell us your routine or prceedure for cooking on the WSM and your assembly of it. Do you have a Digital camera to post some pics? Thermometer what kind and where are you measuring the temps? We need to know everything all the details to be able to help you out and figure out what your doing wrong. Take your time and think of your exact steps and routine when firing it up and cooking on it. Do you keep looking alot? opening the lid all the time etc...etc...

Ian, Every cooking post of yours is filled with disaster

Yah, I know and I appologise for that, I get defeated too easily. The reason I posted that reply was because I had checked the meat and saw that it looked direly dry, so I got pissed, today has not been a good day for various reasons that I will not get into, other than the fact I had trouble w/ the amount of fuel (I used 1 fuel chimney, erring on the side of caution, 1 1/4-1 1/2 would have been better). The meat around the back and on the top and bottom were a dry the rest of the meat was around medium. I remember reading Mordechai say...
cooked it till 125 internal...
And I thought, i25? Isn't that below rare? So I looked in the Weber manual and saw that 140 is rare for a beef roast. So I set my thermometer for 135. I was going to set it for 140 but then I realized that the thermometer is off by 4-5 degrees. After taking the meat off to look at it...and, well, eat it
icon_smile.gif
I totally remembered that meat continues cooking after you take it off its heating surface (Alton Brown would kill me if he found out I forgot that)

Sorry again and thanks "B"

Could you tell me what cut of meat (and what sort of meat) a London Broil is? Perhaps anpther that I'd like to try!

Thanks for all the recipes tips etc on this site - everything I've done so far has got lots of favourable comments!

Andrew

It's not really just one cut of meat.

"London Broil, despite what you might find at the local meat market is not a cut of beef but rather a method of cooking. It was one of the first recipes to become popular in early restaurants and so the name London Broil because synonymous with a cut of meat. Originally that cut of meat was flank steak, but over the years the name has been applied to almost any cut of beef that is very lean and less tender. Hence you might find London Broil being a steak or a roast that comes from the sirloin or round sections of cattle. This of course makes the whole thing very confusing."

much more here

Susan - thanks for that! I'm sure I can find a cut that fits the role!! And will give it a whirl...

Andrew

Back