Local For charity Grill/BBQ contest

see what you all think.

I'm planning on 6 - 8lb bone in butts and 8-4lb chuck roasts.

Think that will net me plenty of finished product.

I assumed 2oz servings of pork and needed just over 6-8lb buts to cover that assuming 66% of the starting weight in final product

For the chuck roast I don't know how much final product we will have I'm assuming around 32lbs of chuckroast then all the peppers will add enough bulk to be enough

Thanks

Last edited:
So the event was today. Ended up calling our team "Let there be smoke" It was a good time. I made way to much food so all of my team members got to a big take home box. They didn't get quite the turn out they had hoped but still a decent crowd. Even if they got the 300+ people they hoped I would have still had to much food.

The pepper stout beef was a hit and overall people seemed happy with the food we made. I served pulled pork and PSB on home made slider buns. In addition I had some Chicken and Brisket that was left over from the Official Judged portion of the event that I served. For the peoples I think we came in around 4th-5th out of 17 team. They didn't give us a exact count on the votes. There were a lot of unique entries and a lot of good food. The team that won had some shrimp and salmon that was pretty delicious, they served like 5-6 different items.

I entered 3 out of the 4 "Judged" categories. I turned in Brisket, Chicken and Pork. I ended up winning chicken and my chicken won the best overall across all categories. The prize was a new Kamado Joe Grill!

For cooking 4 different dishes my schedule worked out well and everything got done basically when planned and on time. I started at 5:30 pm on Friday and everything was done between 10 and 10:30. I did get right around 1 hour of sleep and I would not say it was restful.....haha

This event was similar to the Egg Fests that are hosted by BGE with this event's primary sponsor being Kamado Joe. Hopefully they make it an annual event and it grows every year!

Thank you everyone for you advice and encouragement.

Last edited:
Congrats on the win and for a job well done. Sounds like you and your team had a blast and I know you will get a good nights sleep tonight.

Excellent job, Nathan !!! Congratulations. Although this was your first, does sound as though will NOT be your last !

Congrats! Glad to hear it went well for you! Any pics to share by chance? Out of curiosity, what did the other teams end up making for samples? I'm still going back and forth on if I want to do the local comp which is this weekend lol.

I got a few pictures but have not had time to look at then yet. I took a camera intending to get lots of pictures but barely found time to take any.

As far as other teams there were lots of different foods. There was a lot if the standard BBQ samples. Brisket, pulled pork and ribs. There was also some grilled items. Shrimp, salmon, sausage, bacon wrapped jalapenos, wings.

There were s few chefs from a local restaurant and grocery store. They had some dishes that were a bit more fancy.

One guy had bacon wrapped bacon sausage!

The team that won the people's choice had a lot of different food items. Pork shoulder, shrink, chicken, salmon. I'm guessing the variety helped them.

If you only get a single BGE and they let you start early I think I would smoke sometime low and slow and try to get it done a few hours before it needs to be served and store it in a cooler to keep it warm. Then you could grill something right before service and keep grilling as needed.

I cooked way to much food. There may have been 120-150 people who attended the event. I think the proper amount of meat would have been 14lbs of pork, 12lbs of the Chuck roast, a brisket on the smaller side and then maybe 20 pieces of chicken(thighs and drums).

If you can ask the people hosting the event how many people they expect to attend, then probably half that as they tend to be optimistic(in my case anyways). This can give you a good idea how much to cook. If this is not the first year of the event their estimation may be more accurate.

Good luck at your competition.

Benji how did you competition go?

Here are a few pictures that I got of the event I entered. Like I said I didn't make much time to take many. My dad got most of these for me.

uabbq1.jpg

uabbq3.jpg

uabbq4.jpg

The Grill I ended up taking home
uabbq5.jpg

Back