Loafing at Work

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
The co-workers have been asking for more smoked meatloaf so I'm obliging. 5lbs of ground chuck, 1/2 bell pepper, 1/2 yellow onion, worcestershire, Reverend Marvins BBQ Sauce, Ketchup, 3 eggs, Wolfe Rub Bold and bread crumbs. Formed in a mixing bowl, chilled for a couple hours and now smoking over Kingsford and 2 small cherry chunks.

BTW, I had a helper...

2009-05-17033.jpg
2009-05-17035.jpg
2009-05-17039.jpg

I've been trying to get my wife to let me do a meatloaf for her, but she keeps turning me down. I'm going to show her this.

She loves your pics, and maybe, just maybe, she'll let me give it a go.

Now hurry up and post some finished pics.
icon_wink.gif

Larry

Looks good.

Do you then cook the meatloaf on the tin foil on the WSM ??

Also i usually use a loaf pan when I make my meatloafs, like your idea just form it in the mixing bowl and flopp er out on the tinfoil and away you go.

By the way, meatloaf on the WSM is the best meatloaf, my family loves it. They as I can't understand exacly why it's soo much better than in the oven ?? But it is.

Happy smoking Larry and have a nice Memorial Day weekend comming up.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by KenP:
I've been trying to get my wife to let me do a meatloaf for her, but she keeps turning me down. I'm going to show her this.

She loves your pics, and maybe, just maybe, she'll let me give it a go.

Now hurry up and post some finished pics.
icon_wink.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, since you're in Va Beach (about 2 hours away for me).......set me up for a weekend and I'll lend Cathryns expertise to help you guys!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Do you then cook the meatloaf on the tin foil on the WSM ??

Also i usually use a loaf pan when I make my meatloafs, like your idea just form it in the mixing bowl and flopp er out on the tinfoil and away you go.

Happy smoking Larry and have a nice Memorial Day weekend comming up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks John! Yes, I cook it on the foil and when I'm ready to sauce, I poke holes in the foil to drain the fat. I like forming it in the mixing bowl....less dishes to clean!

Meat loaf turned out great, I think my coworkers will be happy at lunch.

The sauce consisted of ketchup, Reverend Marvins BBQ Sauce and brown sugar.

2009-05-18003.jpg
2009-05-18005.jpg
2009-05-18007.jpg
2009-05-18017.jpg
2009-05-18021.jpg
2009-05-18026.jpg
2009-05-18029.jpg

I just love the smoke ring you get on a smoked meat loaf.

I often just put mine directly on the grate.

Lookin' pretty there Larry. Lucky you had that helper to tell you what to do
icon_smile.gif

Larry

Just curious as I'm thinking about cooking a meatloaf this weekend. And the fact you have such a nice smoke ring as Ray indicated.

What temp did you cook the meatloaf and roughly how long ?

I read somewhere a while back the some were cooking meatloaf at 250 ish, asked the question, but don't remember if I got an answer or what excaly it was as to why the 250 temps.

please advise if you will.

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Larry

Just curious as I'm thinking about cooking a meatloaf this weekend. And the fact you have such a nice smoke ring as Ray indicated.

What temp did you cook the meatloaf and roughly how long ?

I read somewhere a while back the some were cooking meatloaf at 250 ish, asked the question, but don't remember if I got an answer or what excaly it was as to why the 250 temps.

please advise if you will.

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

John, I cook meatloaves in the 245º-260º range. Why do I cook it at those temps? I prefer the lower temps because it doesn't tighten up the ground meat due to rapid shrinkage from the fat being forced out from the higher temps. Take cooking sausage patties, burgers or bacon on a hot griddle, if you through them on cold it will shrink right up and you'll have a much smaller piece of meat than you had initially. However, if you put those same piece on a warm or medium hot griddle the meat will not shrink as much and the texture will be smoother.

That's not to say, cooking at higher temps will necessarily give you a less moist or tough meatloaf, I just prefer the texture of the meat I get from the lower temps slowly cooking the loaf.

That was a 5lb loaf and it took about 3.5 hours to cook.

Larry

Thanks

I'm going to cook my next meatloaf lower and slower and give it a try.

My family loves the meatloafs I've cooked in the past on the WSM.

Maybe you gotta better smoke ring cook it at the lower temps as well ?

John

This looks fantastic!!!! Just for some specs... what is the internal target temperature you're shooting for on this and approximately how long was the cooking time?

Also, like John asked, what is the optimal cooking temp... 250 sounds like it would make a perfectly moist meatloaf.

As far as the recipe goes, do you use any rub on the outside or is the Wolfe rub used as seasoning on the inside? And what kind of wood did you use for the smoke?

This looks great!! Can't wait to try it out!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armen G.:
This looks fantastic!!!! Just for some specs... what is the internal target temperature you're shooting for on this and approximately how long was the cooking time?

Also, like John asked, what is the optimal cooking temp... 250 sounds like it would make a perfectly moist meatloaf.

As far as the recipe goes, do you use any rub on the outside or is the Wolfe rub used as seasoning on the inside? And what kind of wood did you use for the smoke?

This looks great!! Can't wait to try it out!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just WRB mixed into the loaf. I used 2 small pieces of cherry wood for this cook. I go very light when smoking meatloaf. I pulled at 160º internal temp. Typically I like to let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing, but as you can tell from the pic's this one was sliced almost immediately due to time constraints!
icon_rolleyes.gif

Thanks Larry!! As far as the sauce goes, did you use equal parts of BBQ and ketchup with the worcestershire added to taste?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Armen G.:
Thanks Larry!! As far as the sauce goes, did you use equal parts of BBQ and ketchup with the worcestershire added to taste? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The finishing sauce was equal parts Ketchup, Reverend Marvins BBQ Sauce and Brown Sugar.

I did however mix ketchup, Rev's and worcestershire sauce in with the loaf, but no woos sauce in the finished sauce.

It's 8:00 in the morning and my mouth is watering looking at your pictures. I've got to try this! Thanks for posting Larry.

Back