Liquid smoke in sauce.

Bob Sample

TVWBB Diamond Member
I normally make my own sauce but people here have been raving about different sauces and one of them was Sweet Baby Rays. I looked at a bottle today and saw that it had "natural smoke flavour" added to it.

Do people here regularly buy smoke enhanced sauces?

It just seem wrong to put this stuff on a cut of meat I so lovingly cooked for hours with hickory and apple wood.

Well, I can't see anything wrong with that, if your meat for some reason has less smoke taste than you'd like. I've used liquid smoke several times, as an example if the cooking time for some reason is so short that the smoke flavor is less than desired.

My experience is that the liquid smoke works much better if your meat has some natural smoke taste.

On it's own, it's not so great.

No, I don't buy smoked sauces. I also rarely buy sauces as I prefer to make them myself. For smoke flavor, I add some drippings from the meat. Liquid smoke, while some brands appear to be all natural (whatever that means; no chemicals I guess), tends to have a bitter taste to it. I'm smoking food as it is, so I don't see a reason to 'artificially' add it if you catch my meaning.

Paul

I look for the overall taste profile, and a doctored up Sweet Baby Rays is something I've used on Ribs many times.

As far as the added smoke flavor. Gotta tell you I love the #5 sauce with the smoked meat drippings in it. Gives a nice flavor especially for pulled pork and chicken. So it really comes down to the bottom line, do you like the flavor of the sauce and how it compliments your Q?

I regularly buy such sauces as "Jack Daniels Hickory Smoke Flavor" and others.

We like it, and that's all that matters to us.

I also have VERY RARELY used Liquid Smoke for any reason, but I would not object to using it for an inside cook, or some non-meat something that I thought it added to.

I have a bottle in the spice cupboard. Sweet Pammi Sue found a recipe that is very similar to the Jack Daniels glaze at TGIFs. One of the ingredients is liquid smoke,but other than that, I don't use the stuff.

I won't use liquid smoke, and I swear when I'm in a restaurant and order ribs I can tell if they've used it. I don't know about other ways of adding smoke - dripping or whatevr - they may be more natural. But I find liquid smoke has a definitive flavour i rally don't like. I use a commercial sauce, President's Choice Smokn' Stampede, but there's no added smoke in it.

Back