Limoncello (Lemoncello) the Italian way

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Washing removes the wax coating. (Even organic fruit should be washed first.)

We've taken to pouring limoncello over ice in a tall glass, adding a splash of cranberry, and topping with club soda. Very refreshing for our hot afternoons.

Just knocked off the last bottle of the calamondin version. Bought more alcohol but ended up leaving quicker than I'd planned so didn't get a chance to make a new batch. Bummer.

Kruger: please list the proportion of lemoncello, splash of cranberry and the club soda, please.

TIA

It a 12oz glass filled with ice I pour 3/4 of a glass of liqueur, add about an ounce of cranbery, then top with club soda.

It's December! Time for a new cello season! Any new interesting ones people are going to try? I am trying to decide - with Everclear for about three new batches. Must finally do grapefruit this winter. Is there one variety which works best?

Bill in Bay

Originally posted by Bill Hrubik:
It's December! Time for a new cello season! Any new interesting ones people are going to try? I am trying to decide - with Everclear for about three new batches. Must finally do grapefruit this winter. Is there one variety which works best?

Bill in Bay
Bill, this was posted on page 5. When I get around to doing a batch of grapefruit, I'll be using Ruby Reds. HTH
I do 7-8 if Ruby Reds, 8-9 if not.

I'd be interested in opinions on the grapefruit from both of you. I like it but of all I've made it has been the least well received by others that have tasted my entire production flow. (I do think it might be better, though, with a hint of honey...)

Calamondins ripening on the tree. I picked the ripe ones and have a bunch macerating in two bottles of grain. Last thing I did of consequence before grabbing a plane to Dallas. I'll finish whenever I'm home next, likely around Christmas.

I should have a variety of tangerines ripe then so one or more of them will be my next new flavor.

It a 12oz glass filled with ice I pour 3/4 of a glass of liqueur, add about an ounce of cranbery, then top with club soda.

Is it the 12 oz glass of ice that's filled 3/4'ths full of lemoncello?

Yup. But make a smaller version first in the same proportions and see what you think. Then you can adjust from there.

Grapefruit - OK, it will have to be some form of pink or Ruby Red; that color must add to the appeal. I have also seen mixed reviews on grapefruit, but most seem positive enough, and I like it enough that I must try it this winter.

I'm sipping some kumquatcello as I type this, and it has reclaimed first place as my favorite. It has the most complexity, like a fine wine, and really stands unique in its flavor. Just takes more effort in zesting than most other fruits. I notice the California fruit I have used looks a lot nicer than what I see from Florida, for some reason. Maybe looks are deceiving.

Calamondin? That still ranks quite high on the candidate list too! Well, I am getting into the spirit, the more I think about it!

Bill in Bay

What would it be like to throw 10 or 15 grapefruits in a blender and then add them to the liquor solution and strain later? Zest, seeds, pulp and all else that is in a grapefruit? Or other fruits even.

Originally posted by David Payne:
What would it be like to throw 10 or 15 grapefruits in a blender and then add them to the liquor solution and strain later? Zest, seeds, pulp and all else that is in a grapefruit? Or other fruits even.
Bitter comes to mind. Not sure if you could eliminate it with sugar. Grapefruits pith is so thick, and that would be alot of bitter from that.

Based on my winemaking experience, the resulting wine would taste very bitter due to the inclusion of pulp and seeds.

I'm giving the original Lemon recipe a whirl for starters (doing a half-batch)

Then, thinking of other fruits to try.

Bill - how did your Citroncello turn out? (I've always liked citrons, and have been thinking of starting a bush indoors that I can put on the patio during warm weather.)

I used a fine razorplane grater, so I anticipate that the zest will extract quite quickly.

Love to read the warning labels on the bottle of Everclear. Put a drop of it on the tip of my tongue and it reminded me of the glue that the dentist uses when putting in an amalgam filling - that sweet vapor.

One thing that nobody mentioned -- when allowing the zest/peels to extract in the alcohol, how tightly do you need to seal-up the jar? I would assume that you want to minimize evaporation, since that grain alc is pretty volatile stuff. But not too tight - since chances of anything nasty growing in that strong alc is pretty-much zilch.

Cheers y'all

Originally posted by Ron G.:
One thing that nobody mentioned -- when allowing the zest/peels to extract in the alcohol, how tightly do you need to seal-up the jar?...

I close my mason jars tightly as no fermentation can ever occur at that level of alcohol content. I believe that an alcohol level of around 17-19% causes fermentation to cease. Think port wine which clocks in at about that percentage level.

I wouldn't be too concerned about how tight your closure is on the containers until you finish bottling the product; it's just so things don't spill in the mean time. And this is a pure physical transfer, with no chemical reaction occurring.

Again, anyone can try any sort of recipe, but to call something a true "cello" entails zest extract only, from what I have seen and heard.

I like the citroncello, as it is close to lemon but with the extra "jasmine" aromatic characteristic that you might expect. It is not as good, though, as key lime, rangpur lime, or kumquat, in my opinion. I doubt I would make citron again; too many other good ones to try.

Bill in Bay

I would assume that you want to minimize evaporation, since that grain alc is pretty volatile stuff.
Ron, correct. The Everclear would evaporate very quickly. You want it tight enough so it doesn't evporate or would leak out if the jar was knocked over.

I'll have to check with my friend and see if she has some lemons left to give away. I want to try this blend thang and if it costs be a couple dollars, it will not be a loss. I know a few alcohol suckers that will drink anythang. I'll let ya'll know if it happens.

Bryan,
After reading through the volume of posts, it appears that you are the only one trying the blood orange. How did you like it? I have a tree in my backyard and I was interested in what you thought.

Regards.

Did a little sampling of my first attempt tonight.

It's probably still a bit "fresh", and could stand to sit in the bottles a bit longer, but I thought that it was pretty decent.

Nice and thick, good smooth lemon flavor, plus a little "kick".

Later in the week, I'm going to try something that you "southerners" & Med-area folks, who keep talking about your home-grown citrus, won't be able to do (yep, I jealous
icon_wink.gif
) I'm going to chill it to sub-zero in our "wonderful" outdoor cooler. We're due for a record-breaking cold snap.
icon_razz.gif

Later in the week, I'm going to try something that you "southerners" & Med-area folks, who keep talking about your home-grown citrus, won't be able to do (yep, I jealous
icon_wink.gif
) I'm going to chill it to sub-zero in our "wonderful" outdoor cooler. We're due for a record-breaking cold snap.
icon_razz.gif
Ron - What is the freezing point of 70 proof alcohol? You may find out on Thursday.

I have 2 half batches going - lemon and grapefruit. I have yet to get around to straining and mixing with the simple syrup and am thinking of something different. Has anyone ever bottled their 'cellos with the zest in the bottle? I don't think it will add any additional flavor, but it will make it more interesting to serve.

Jim

Yes, as a matter of fact. I gave a bottle to Rick Moonen (rm seafood) last year that way and saved one for myself--the 'calamondincello'. Instead of straining through a chinois, as I usually do, I used the less fine china cap. This allowed the finer bits of zest through. I liked it this way (one can strain again if it seems important, or simply pour off the top, leaving the settled zest at the bottom, or shake before pouring). Not sure how Rick liked the zested finish but I know he like the 'cello.

Back