Limoncello (Lemoncello) the Italian way

I used 25 persians to a liter of everclear and it came out great. The key limes are smaller, so maybe 40-50?

I think the next time I do limoncello, I will weight the lemon zest before I toss it in so there is a reference for mass of zest...

Edit/Update: The zest of 12 lemons done with a fine microplane ended up being 40 grams. I assume that mass would translate to other citrus.

This gets back to my last post - can you put in TOO much fruit? I used as many as 80 key limes in a liter of Everclear, and the result was wonderful. You might get more cloudy sediment or other oily matter in the final product, but there seems to be no real harm in that. I am up to 120 kumquats in a batch, but the last one I made is the best in terms of concentrated flavor. Making 'cello is not about exercising restraint, when you think about who enjoys it, and why. Just some philosophical thoughts, I guess...

Still eager to hear about tasting the rhubarb version, as soon it is ready, Ken? The local rhubarb is looking extra red and rich at the roadside markets! Rhubarb - tart and bity, kinda like citrus - should be a natural!!

Bill in Bay

Hey Bill,

The rhubarb version has been in the closet for 3 weeks now. I will try a sample next weekend and will post my results.

Regards
Ken

Finally got some everclear to be able to try this. One question I have is what size jar are most people using? It seems like you would need about a 1/2 gallon sized for all this liquid.

I just did a batch in a 1 gallon container starting with a 750 ml bottle of everclear and it was just over half full (by eyeball reckoning) when the water and sugar got added.

Going "back to the beginning" with a basis of 1 liter of Everclear, you end up with about 2.6 liters of finished cello, so a 1-gallon glass container seems perfect for the process.

Bill in Bay

My peels are a marinating in the everclear.... I am as nervous as a first time father in the waitng room
icon_cool.gif

I'm getting ready to start this, but also have some quick questions. I'm not exactly sure what "zest" is, or how to get it. Do I simply grate the peel? Or should I leave the peel whole, but avoid the white stuff near to the lemon? That's what I've gathered I should do, or would it be better to peel them, grind the peels up (is this zesting?), and put that in the everclear?

you can buy a zester anywhere (food stores, kitchen supplies, etc. just Google it) It basically is a tool that scrapes off the top layer of the skin of fruit. A vegetable peeler can also be used, just try to keep from getting any of the white skin underneath. I'm 4 days from adding the sugar syrup myself. Good luck to you.

Yes, the zest is not the peel: it is the outermost layer of the peel, the very thin colored layer. The white pith below (which constitutes the rest of the peel) should be avoided. It's harder to do this with a veg peeler. Use a zester or, better, a fine Microplane grater.

Thanks guys! I didn't want my first batch to come out bitter due to the pith. I'll get a zester or Microplane grater before I begin. I need to get the alcohol and a glass container big enough to hold it all before I begin anyway, so I'll pick one up while I'm getting the rest of my supplies.

Since I started this post I have watched with interest how it has developed. I never thought it would carry on as long as it has. Just hope everyone enjoys it. I have tried many different types of citrus and some blends. My favorite blend being lemon and lime about half and half. But I still go back to lemon. I think it is because of the local lemons here in Malta. They are thin skinned and quite tough. I use a potato peel and find that it takes the skin without any white. It is almost like dealing with a lime in someways. I have also found that I now prefer to use less sugar and like the bite that gives. So instead of 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) of sugar to 1 litre (2.1 pints) of pure spirit. I now use 800gms (1.75 pounds) of sugar and this gives me a more lemony flavor with more citrus bite. Maybe someone would like to try. Hope you all enjoyed the lemoncello and other versions that have come from the post. Good drinking.

What are some creative ways to use the "naked" lemons? After we basically rob them of their very essence... they just sit there... are there any ways to preserve them for future use? surely there must me...

I juice the fruit (whatever I am using) immediately and either freeze the juice, or put some in a container in the fridge for sauces, salad dressings, condiments, etc., or both.

Originally posted by Mike Marlow:
Since I started this post I have watched with interest how it has developed. I never thought it would carry on as long as it has. Just hope everyone enjoys it. I have tried many different types of citrus and some blends. My favorite blend being lemon and lime about half and half. But I still go back to lemon. I think it is because of the local lemons here in Malta. They are thin skinned and quite tough. I use a potato peel and find that it takes the skin without any white. It is almost like dealing with a lime in someways. I have also found that I now prefer to use less sugar and like the bite that gives. So instead of 1 kilo (2.2 pounds) of sugar to 1 litre (2.1 pints) of pure spirit. I now use 800gms (1.75 pounds) of sugar and this gives me a more lemony flavor with more citrus bite. Maybe someone would like to try. Hope you all enjoyed the lemoncello and other versions that have come from the post. Good drinking.

Mike - this does seem to be one of the classic posts at over 3 yrs of activity. Kind of like Roadside Chicken (but different
icon_cool.gif
).

Thanks a bunch.

Another way of using the lemons that I like. I like a G&T and because of using a potato peeler there is still lemon skin on the lemons. So I cut of top and bottom and then half. I slice into think slices (about 1 inch think) then lay them flat in a freezer bag and flat freeze them. I use them instead of ice in a G&T and they don't dilute the drink but cool it down well. Just an idea. Good drinking.

For saving the juice, I use ice cube trays, then transfer the frozen juice cubes into a ziploc. Nice way to have them already portioned out...

I just added the SS and 2nd 5th of vodka to a batch of limecello today, not the green color I thought it was going to be but it smells ok. Guess I'll wait a month to strain and freeze and see what I end up with.

Back