Limoncello (Lemoncello) the Italian way

Yes this stuff is amazing, so I second the kudos to Mike in Malta. Two new cellos have been finished here in recent weeks, and both are winners.

First was Star Ruby grapefruit, which satisfied a long-standing curiosity, after hearing about others' results. While it did not capture as much of that wonderful color as I had wished for, the fragrance and taste are really excellent, and this ranks high on my list. Very little bitterness, but crisp and spicy. Next came Eustis limequat, which is a fruit which deserves a lot more attention than it gets. It made a stellar marmalade too (the key lime really shows through there), and the cello truly shows it to be the balanced hybrid you might expect. Brilliant yellow, and smooth and velvety in the mouth. These two are right up there with Nagami kumquat and Rangpur lime for me. It may be that kumquat still gets my top vote, but I do want to let these new ones age a little more and keep testing. I do think they improve in the bottle.

In addition to Mike's launch of this, early in the thread, I loved Jim in Wisconsin's saying, "now no citrus is safe". I guess this was my inspiration; perhaps I need to "consider the lemon", which honestly, I have yet to try! But I like to keep thinking about what else could work well in this "study". It just keeps getting better, I think! If in doubt, try it!

Bill in Bay

A couple more comments - started one last batch of the winter - another kumquat. I also finished one other totally new one - Bergamot orange. This one really stands apart. Sharp and aromatic as I made it, and I wasn't sure I'd like it when it was done, but you feel like you are really tasting something special with this one. A distinct dryness to the taste, balanced by the sugar.

Where to go from here? Perhaps calamondin?

Bill in Bay

I just cracked open my first bottle of Limoncello at a friend's house last weekend. What a hit! Sweet, icy cold, refreshing. Everyone loved it and a full liter was gone in less than an hour.

I can't wait to try my Key Lime version. By the way, has anyone tried to make a creamy cocktail out of this mixed with some heavy cream? I was thinking that it might be similar to KeKe liquor.

The minute I saw this post I knew what I had to do. It took me a couple of weeks to get started, and I can not wait. I love this place. So much more than just a WSM website. So much knowledge. Now the pic for the day I started it.
IMG_0844.jpg

Have done both the lemoncello and limoncello. Today just started a batch of Mandycello (mandarin orange). It's cold here and needed something to do. Only had half a liter of grain so combined that with vodka (3 cups). Will let you know when ready.

Joe is right - this has been one of the very best blogs about making perfect cello. I think reading the whole string, back to day 1, brings you close to equipping you with everything you need to know. This has created a whole lot of enjoyment! I'm sure all the contributors will keep expanding the envelope! Thanks to all!

Bill in Bay

All right its been 10 days. The color is a light orange, But, unlike lemon which starts to bleach out and get stiff, the mandarin orange peal is still colorful and not stiff (how do you describe it when its right - kinda crystaly?) Maybe the yodka I had to add. Another week.

Reading all of the input you can find, key lime ranks high on the candidate list. Next time I do that, I want to go with riper, yellower fruits; the ones I used were quite green, but it still made a wonderful cello. I still rank Rangpur limes slightly higher then key limes.

My number one is still kumquat; I just finished a new batch as my last one of the season. This is about 3 or 4 times for me, and I never want to run out of it in my freezer. Kumquats have the tastiest citrus rind anyway, plus the cello hangs onto a certain "creamy" texture which is outstanding. It also holds onto its original color better than any, which says something about how much flavor is being extracted. Very unique!

Bill in Bay

Got a batch of the Key Lime stuff started on Sunday (mesh bags of the little buggers on sale for 3 bucks at my local market - SCORE!)

Found that a little "splash" of the regular lemoncello is great in some icy cold iced tea.

As a former beer homebrewer and occasional wine brewer I am very interested in trying to make this. However, I'm confused a bit so please help me.

Joe Garrett's photo above shows sections of whole peel and most others say just to zest the fruit peels with a grater or vegetable peeler. Either of those will work? Either way, I just don't want the white stuff under the zest, correct. Please help me understand what exactly to use. Thanks in advance!

If you use the entire peel you risk making a very bitter cello. The threads that I read before making my first batch emphasized that you avoid using the pulp as much as possible.

Originally posted by Frabe:
Either of those will work? Either way, I just don't want the white stuff under the zest, correct.

No white, just the colored zest (what ever fruit you are making.) I picked up a new zester just to try this and it worked out great.

I went with a vege peeler the first couple times with thicker skinned lemons, but it took way too much pith with a thinner skinned lime. I now just use a microplane for all zesting. It's fast and you never take off any pith with the zest. I just have to use cheesecloth to filter the zest when the maceration is done.

Not having any lemons, limes, grapefruit, or kumquats in hand but an unopened bottle of Everclear I have started a batch with the only thing growing in the garden at the time - rhubarb!

Its currently "marinating" at this time but it is taking on lovely pink hue. Hope this turns out!

Ken

RHUBARB! That just might be fantastic? I'm sure all will want a full report on the finished product! All the details, please, Ken?!

Any wisdom on putting TOO much fruit in the mix? I have wondered about that. This year's new kumquat batch is extra concentrated and intensely orange - makes me think you can NOT overdo it?

Bill in Bay

I came across an old family recipe in an old cookbook - actually a handwritten recipe on paper jammed into the book. Looks like it came from one of my Ukrainian relatives (mom is Ukrainian).

Anyways, the recipe called for 3 lbs of rhubarb to a bottle (26 oz) of vodka. I used about 4lbs of rhubarb to a 26 oz (750 ml) bottle of Everclear.

I "marinated" the mix for one week. It has a fantastic pink colour. I then followed the cello recipe and made a syrup of 4 cups sugar ro 5 cups of water and mixed the two. I have poured the "extract" into bottles and am now awaiting the maturing process for a month before I sample it.

The same old recipe I found - it called it rhubarb cordial also said that the same recipe should be used, with very good results it said, with Blueberries!!!!!!

So when the British Columbia blueberries come onto the market shortly I am going to try that as a batch!

Will keep you notified.

Thanks
Ken W

My Dad used to make both rhubarb pie and rhubarb wine, so don't discount its usefulness and versatility. Both took a lot of sugar to tame that innate tartness, though. I used to like to chew on the raw stalks.

On the subject of limoncello, tomorrow, from 11a-2p, Danny Devito will be at our own suburban Dorignac's Supermarket signing bottles of his new Premium Limoncello. And yes, you can buy such stuff in supermarkets here-- the one mentioned sells $15M+ of wine and spirits annually.

I'm interested in substituting key limes for lemons in the original recipe. How many key limes would suffice for the 10 lemons called for?

Back