Likely wrong spot but too good not to post

LMichaels

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
So dummy me, I was at Sam's club just a couple days ago, (bought 14 lbs of imported Romano cheese and 3lbs of aged imported parmesan. (long story :D)
Anyway I forgot to buy bacon. So while perusing the aisles I spotted this. I damn near bought it. Last one. From what I have seen they're pretty darn good coal burners. And last I saw these and they had 3 left. Darn near bought this as well :D Note all the Xmas stuff and it's 85 outside
1662159907018.jpeg
1662159938849.jpeg
1662160041650.jpeg

Has to be your location along with too much inventory in your area, in my store its $249 and out of stock.

I would rather have a used Weber Performer which I have than to take a chance on something like that, just me I know I can get replacement stuff for the Performer and the fact that has porcelain cast iron cooking grates is a negative to me in the climate down here don't want to deal with them and the maintenance required. I have stainless GBS grates which require nothing in the way of maintenance. an SNS and Stainless baskets my total into the Gas Assist Performer is probably about $210 dollars the Performer was $85 dollars.

Edit: I did see that model when I was in the store a week ago or so, if you care it does not have a Therm if I remember might be wrong so yes you could use a probe or drill a hole to add one. I cook using the Weber therm I know my grill doing wings, spatchcock chicken or a pork tenderloin I dial into 350 and of course we all know its hotter at grate level but that works for me.

Last edited:
So dummy me, I was at Sam's club just a couple days ago, (bought 14 lbs of imported Romano cheese and 3lbs of aged imported parmesan. (long story :D)
Anyway I forgot to buy bacon. So while perusing the aisles I spotted this. I damn near bought it. Last one. From what I have seen they're pretty darn good coal burners. And last I saw these and they had 3 left. Darn near bought this as well :D Note all the Xmas stuff and it's 85 outside
View attachment 58613
View attachment 58614
View attachment 58615
I've been reading about that and one buyer said that Weber 22.5" grates are about a half inch too small for it. Also, it's not great for long smoking because it doesn't seal tightly. But, for $100 it's tempting to buy it and just swap in a Weber kettle with homemade brackets if and when the grates rust out. Heck, Weber charges $100 for the cover included with this.

View attachment 58613
View attachment 58614
View attachment 58615
Almost looks like a kamado with the egg shape and hinged lid.
I bet you could buy a role of oven door seal and a tube of high heat RTV sealant and you'd have yourself quite the cooker for a bargain price.

Yeah, I knew if that thing came home in the back of my SUV, the next thing I would be putting in it would be my belongings :D But, I think I am going back today for one of those $49 griddles. Gives me a low cost way to find out what everyone is raving about with the Blackstone

Griddle cooking is awesome! When I worked in restaurants in my younger years I used to love to man the flat grill. Make some cheesesteaks with hot peppers and fries onions on it, there’s no better way to cook them!

He or she who hesitates is lost. :) You stole the Pellet Grill good thing you did not wait on that for sure. The kettle IMO was no great loss I would not have bought that for $100 the one thing Weber IMO does better than anyone else is kettles/performers you could always find one used but I think you got your hands full with the Pellet Grill. If and have no doubt Mack says that regular Weber kettle grates don't fit you would be stuck with proprietory grates if they ever needed replacement meaning you got to chase them down and hope Sam's still has them.

Like I said to me at least the pocelain cast iron grates have no value down here.

Some amazing sales as companies are overstocked on some stuff and facing recessionary winds. I have looked at that Performer knock-off and thought it was halfway decent - certainly for $100! That’s disappointing about the grate size. I have the same problem with my crazy Landmann pellet kettle which is half inch too SMALL for a Weber grate. Recteq got that right by making their Bullseye able to interchange with Weber kettle grates and accessories.

I picked up some nice Weber accessories at our Target the other day including the NEW Weber Precision tool set regularly $42.99 for only $14.79! I am in suburban Chicago today and we looked at two Targets. One had no sales, while the other had a few deals. I passed on two Weber Connects marked down from ~$129 to $41.99. It was tempting to use as an add-on for selling a classic Genesis but I have too much inventory and don’t need to spend any more.

I am just not that attracted to flat top griddle cooking, but I, too, would have been sorely tempted to give it a try for that deal. Sorry you missed them😔.

Oh, I wasn't looking to actually buy the kettle. Just thought that for $100 it could be a great buy. Obviously someone else thought so :D I went back for the griddle

I wouldn't sweat the griddle. The Blackstone bug bit me and I grabbed a clearance 28" with air fryer. As I was seasoning the griddle in my Genesis 435, I realized that I really just need a big griddle for the Weber. If I'm able to sell the Blackstone and break even or close, I'll spend the proceeds on a custom griddle for the 435.

Enjoy your new griddle Larry. I was in the Sams in Des Plaines this afternoon.
Just saw 2 grills in the store. But LOTS of Christmas stuff......

Enjoy your new griddle Larry. I was in the Sams in Des Plaines this afternoon.
Just saw 2 grills in the store. But LOTS of Christmas stuff......
Oh, I never got the griddle. They were gone the next AM. I guess I wasn't the only one to spot a deal

Back