lighting with weed burner

Dave O (Alaska)

TVWBB Pro
used my new weed burner for the first time today and the unit ran a lot hotter than expected. Think I may have lit too many coals. how long do you hold the torch in one place for? It's kinda hard to tell when they are lit but obviously it took off with no problem. Temps were running at 275 with all vents closed and the DigiQ in place. it didn't really run much since it was set at 225.

dave

dave

Dave you have to be a little careful when using a weed burner to not over-lite the coals. If using my WSM I hit just the center of the coals for about 4 minutes or so. When using my BDS I go around the ring until its all starting to ash over. Maybe a total of 6 minutes. The nice thing about using a weed burner on my kettle and WSM is that I can put the cooking grate over the coals and lite the coals thru the grate. This helps to burn the crud off of the grate as well as start the coals.

I always use a weed burner to light my Lump....30 seconds to 1 min max. Briqs is a bit harder to get started,but i guess you will get the feel for it.

Back