Lid thermometer advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rita Y

TVWBB Emerald Member
Hi Folks!
I need to replace my old Taylor dial (5 1/2" stem) thermometer, which I'd inserted into a small hole drilled in my WSM's lid opposite the vent. It's reading erratically between 6 and 15 degrees below actual temp as checked with an Owen Instruments Thermapen (0.5 degrees accuracy, from King Arthur Baker's catalog). There's no calibration nut below the Taylor's dial, so I guess it's time for a replacement.

1. Are there any accurate DIGITALS that can be inserted into the lid, or do all of you have dial thermometers?

2. What is your lid thermometer of choice? I thought the Trend might be the one, but there wasn't as much information in the archives as I thought I'd find when I searched for "Trend."

3. Can your favorite thermometer be calibrated?

4. Is stem length an issue?

5. Anything else I need to know about thermometers?

If there's any place I can get good information, I know it'll be here! Thank you, everyone, for your input....
Rita

Rita,
I don't know how big the hole is in your lid, but I use a Nu- Temp digital remote that goes thru a hole about 1/8" dia. It's accurate to about 2 degrees and I can check the temp from the comfort of my recliner /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif . I think that the stem or probe shouldn't be too long or it could give same bad readings if it touches the meat,(not a problem with ribs but maybe with a large butt roast). I really like the digital but you need a place to set the sending unit and you have to worry about getting it wet and that's a big problem here in Washington.
Happy cooking,
Don

Hi Rita,
I am using the Trend model 33 in both of my WSM's. I had to return one and get a replacement because it was off about 8 degrees. The replacement works great. It was just a defective one, that's all. The model 33 can not be calibrated, but they make a model 30 that can be calibrated.
I bought my thermometers from Allied Kenco for $34.95 a piece. They don't sell the model 30, but I'm sure Trend (WICA) does or can tell you who does. The model 30 has a screw on the back of the dial for reset/calibration. They said to NOT try loosening the nut on the back of the model 33 to calibrate, that will mess it up.
I prefer the 4" stem. The 6" stem is ok too, but it might get in the way if you are smoking a large turkey or something else big.
I mounted my thermometers by drilling a hole using the Unibit (step-bit) method. Works great.

Thanks, Don and Rocky, for your helpful comments.

I tried one of my NuTemp probes in the hole we'd drilled for the old Taylor dial/stem thermometer that died, and it was a great improvement over the Taylor. I clipped a wooden clothespin on it so only about 3 to 3 1/2 inches of the probe was actually inside the lid and that worked quite well, especially for the money. My probes read a little more than 2 degrees low, but they're consistent, so that's no problem at all.

For convenience, I'm still debating about a permanent installation. Everyone, like you Rocky, seems to like the Trend Model 33 without the calibration option, and I haven't noticed that anyone has had a problem with that model needing any calibration adjustment.

Thanks for the help -- you folks are great! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Rita

The only problem I encountered was when they shipped me the 2 model 33's. I tested them in boiling water and one of them was off by about 8 degrees. I called Allied Kenco the next day and they said to ship back the bad one and they sent another to me. The new one works great. Make sure you test your thermometers before mounting them.
As far as the mounting goes, I was a little apprehensive taking on the project. But, the main negative aspect about it was the cost of buying the Unibit (stepbit). I believe it cost about $40. The washers were cheap and it wasn't hard to drill out the washers or to drill the holes in the lids. I just covered the area with masking tape to prevent the Unibit from "dancing" around when starting the hole. I pretty much just followed the instructions on the "modifications" page. The electrical backing lock-nuts worked great. I am very happy with the way they turned out. I am glad I didn't try the "punchout" method.

Sometimes, I wish I had located and ordered the model 30 thermometers with the calibration screw on the back, but I don't think it will be necessary. Just make sure they haven't sent you a defective thermometer like one of the two I ordered was.
Good luck. Let me know if I can help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rocky:
[qb]As far as the mounting goes, I was a little apprehensive taking on the project. But, the main negative aspect about it was the cost of buying the Unibit (stepbit).[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as you have a set of drill bits, there's no need to buy a Unibit. I drilled out three 3/8ths inch holes this weekend, starting with a small bit and increasing the hole size by moving up to the next bigger bit and so on up through the set of bits until I got to the final size. Because so little metal is being removed with each successive bit, the drilling was effortless and took just a couple of seconds for each bit.

Hey Rita,
I use a tel-tru with a 2.5" probe.I just put mine through the vent hole.It has a retaining ring so you can install it, if you want to.It takes a 5/16" hole for the probe.It also doesn't have a calibration nut but has been pretty accurate so far.
Willy T.

well, I had to drill 7/8" holes in the lids. My drill doesn't even hold that size bit.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rocky:
[qb]well, I had to drill 7/8" holes in the lids. My drill doesn't even hold that size bit.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, I see. In that case, I would probably forget drilling out a hole for the threads on the thermometer. I'd just drill out a small hole for the stem. Shoving the threads through the lid doesn't buy you much, does it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Webb Collings:
[qb]Shoving the threads through the lid doesn't buy you much, does it?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It allows you to fasten the thermometer with a nut on the inside of the lid. Makes a nice, clean installation, the thermometer won't fall out or get knocked loose, and can be easily removed for testing, cleaning, replacement, etc.

Regards,
Chris

Couldn't you achieve the same function by just using an alligator clip or a set-screw collar on the stem inside the lid?

There's nothing wrong with drilling a 7/8ths inch hole, but if it means buying a $40 drill bit, there are other solutions!

I thought about all the options...and spending $40 was well worth having both my WSM's installed with tight-fitting, fixed thermometers. I'm not saying that evrybody should do this. After reading the entire section, I felt that this was what I wanted. I have no regrets and I have a nice Unibit to add to my toolbox. I have wasted $40 on much worse things in my lifetime.
This is just 1 of many different options for people to choose from. Once you mount the thermometers this way, you never have to mess with it again. Never falls out, doesn't jiggle around, air-tight. Shoot, I had already spent $34.95 a piece for each Trend model 33 thermometer, I figured I might as well mount them in the lids permanently.

Read all of the options everybody and make your own decision. This was just my own personal preference.

Makes sense to me. Heck, I spent $69 so I can sit on my duff inside and check the temperatures at the grate and in the middle of the hunk 'o meat on it!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Webb Collings:
[qb]Couldn't you achieve the same function by just using an alligator clip or a set-screw collar on the stem inside the lid?

There's nothing wrong with drilling a 7/8ths inch hole, but if it means buying a $40 drill bit, there are other solutions![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah. Rather than spending $40 on a unibit, I
just drilled a 1/2" hole (drill a little pilot hole first) and expanded it using my dremel tool. I got it last Christmas but they were like $24 then and they are very
handy to have around. Rather than spending
all that money on one bit that won't last long at all, I would go that route. (no pun
intended) /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back