Lid Temperature

Luis L.

Banned
I remember reading that the lid temperature is 20-25 degrees different than the top grate. However I dont recall if the lid temp is 20/25 higher or lower than the top grate. ?

I thought the difference was less that that, say 5-10 degrees. I think the difference between the top and bottom grate is around 3-5 degrees. The lid temp is supposedly a tad hotter than grate temp.

I'm getting 40 degrees lower at my grate than my lid as we speak! I tested the lid and my tel tru therm I have at the grate and both were good. This is weird.

Ok now it seems like it's stabilized. I've got about a 15 degree difference now. Lid higher than top grate. Thanks everyone.

My ET-732 always shows 25+ degrees hotter at top grate than lid, both probes checked ok with boil test?

Originally posted by Jeffery:
My ET-732 always shows 25+ degrees hotter at top grate than lid, both probes checked ok with boil test?

Yup, the tel tru tested about 210-215. The weber lid therm tested somewhere betweet 205-15, not sure because it doesn't have exact markers.

Thanks for posting that link to the IR pics, Josh. Great view of what we can only try to measure. I'd certainly like to see some more at various times after the start (10 min is really to early). Need some after stabilization for sure.

As for the temp, my 18.5 consistently measures +/- 25* higher than the lid thermometer. But despite having a Maverick ET-732, I rely primarily on the lid thermo for vent adjust decisions.

Rich

I agree with Rich. It'd be cool to have some IR photos at an hour, two, four, six and so on. Big thanks Josh and to Scott!

It doesn't matter if there's a difference nor what the difference is. I recommend (till I'm blue in the face) picking one place to temp and working off of it. It's what you'll get used to. Since it is relatively easy to get odd reading from the grate if the probe is place too close to the grate edge, if the probe is place too close to cold meat, etc., I prefer the lid - at the vent.

Too many new cooks makes themselves a bit crazy with temp differences. They don't matter but it's hard to convince them of this. Temping in one place only eliminates that frustration.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
It doesn't matter if there's a difference nor what the difference is. I recommend (till I'm blue in the face) picking one place to temp and working off of it. It's what you'll get used to. Since it is relatively easy to get odd reading from the grate if the probe is place too close to the grate edge, if the probe is place too close to cold meat, etc., I prefer the lid - at the vent.

Too many new cooks makes themselves a bit crazy with temp differences. They don't matter but it's hard to convince them of this. Temping in one place only eliminates that frustration.

Yup, us relative newbies like the "perceived" security of knowing what's inside, but notice my comment above -- I was actually startled when I wrote it: "But despite having a Maverick ET-732, I rely primarily on the lid thermo for vent adjust decisions."

Remember guys, Kevin knows more than the next X of us.
icon_razz.gif

I think it should be perceived "security". New cooks focus on cooker temps. They often ask what accessories they should buy after purchasing a cooker and are often told to get a remote therm and do, something I've come to feel us more a hindrance, frankly. Invariably, soon after, the posts about temp disparities come along. Frustration often ensues. This is hardly a solid notion of security.

After running several thermometers yesterday. I am certain and have come to the conclusion that the lid is 20 degrees cooler than the top grate. I was getting contradicting info from other people that the lid would be hotter that the grate. I've got it squared away now. BTW, I've got over 16 hours of burn on a ring full!!
icon_cool.gif

DSCN4566.jpg

Originally posted by K Kruger:
I think it should be perceived "security". New cooks focus on cooker temps. They often ask what accessories they should buy after purchasing a cooker and are often told to get a remote therm and do, something I've come to feel us more a hindrance, frankly. Invariably, soon after, the posts about temp disparities come along. Frustration often ensues. This is hardly a solid notion of security.

The remote therm would be great!!! Not for the reason of knowing the temps of a particular area. But for being able to relax inside your home and being alerted if temps rise or fall below your limits. I've never done an overnight cook on my offset. And I've had that for years. With the WSM, I can now see myself doing one. Love it.

Because they know it's very unreliable to do so. They would have the same issues as cooks who probe at the grate do.

will a 20*-25* variance matter over a period of 6-8 hours?

you should be monitoring the food temp closer right?

225-250. vent, top grate, whatever... does it really matter as long as its in a 20* range?

Back