Lid removal of a Summit

BRingers

Ok, I have an about 4 year old summit grill, due to a fat bearded guy falling off the roof (me, not Santa) i put a couple of nice butt sized dents in my lid, in trying to take off the lid, one side is pinned an the pin pops right out, the other side appears to be pinned, but it isn't budging, I have wd 40'ed it, with vice grips and it doesn't budge, as easy as the first one came out, I am thinking now that maybe this one side is fixed and there must be a trick, anyone ever pop the lid off of a summit?

Is there a hole in the end of the shaft of the hinge pin with a cotter pin holding the hinge pin in place? If not, have you tried gently tapping the small end of hinge pin out with a small punch and hammer. I don't have this grill so just throwing out ideas.

It's a clevis and cotter pin and it should come out. Some other people have had the same problem with this on Weber Genesis grills. Not sure why some get stuck. I've seen some talk about using a punch and hammer, also some mention of carefully heating with a torch. Whatever you do, just be very careful not to break the hinges on the firebox or lid.

Yeah, that is what it surely looks like, it is a clevis and cotter pin, the one side came out like butter, the other side is acting as if it is welded. Thanks for the input all. Gonna have to take a hard look at it, maybe keep dousing it with the WD 40 and see what happens. Thanks for the advice on the hinge Dave, I did not think of that and that would pretty much junk the unit. Thanks.

Back