Lid...Open v Closed

Tim L.

TVWBB Pro
Is there a general rule, or a breakdown by type of meat or method of cooking, for when the lid on your grill should be open and when it should be closed?

Obviously if you're smoking you need it closed. But what about burgers? Or chicken breasts? Brats?

Thanks!

I keep the lid down for everything, as Jim noted before it snuffs out flare-ups. In addition, I cook almost everything on indirect now, even burgers, dogs and chicken breasts I cook most of the way indirect then finish over the heat, so definitely when cooking indirect you need the lid on as much as possible.

Lid closed for everything .. Same reasons mentioned above. If you're gonna cook anything indirect, it's a must!

I would like to tag another related question here, hope you don't mind Tim...

I've seen twice now where people will place a can (soup can size) between the lid and the base to keep the lid open that much. This was on a gasser each time (not Weber) and I was wondering what the reason would be for that? They do it all the time and if's for burgers and or hotdogs/sausages, etc...

...sometimes i like the lid off when grillin' a steak over flames shootin' higher than i can spit...
..butt that's just me
icon_biggrin.gif

I like the lid closed (always) for indirect, as well. But I really only use direct grilling to "finish" meat or for very small meat (things like kabobs) and in both cases I prefer the lid up because I like to see what's going on.

I usually grill "Baja Style". It think it is mainly used for fish, but it works for other meats. I have tweaked this method a little because I have a lid and I like the added smoke flavor it helps me with. It's usually not done with a lid at all because it's done on an open style pit, and wood is usually not added. It is however usually cooked over mesquite lump. So here's my variation.

1. Bank the coals bottom vents open wide.

2. Put food on the cold side of grate.

3. Add wood chips or chunks. Close lid.

4. Keep top vent closed or barely cracked.

5. When the smoke has about burned off, remove the lid and finish direct above the coals and char as desired.

6.Next move food indirect on cold side with lid closed and top vent cracked or open and let simmer to desired doneness while you prepare other things.

One thing I like about this method is that you can move food to the cold side and add toppings or seasoning away from the fire as well as control the amount of char you like. I am making fish tacos this way tonight, they are the best!

lid closed 99 percent of the time. but grilling some stuff that won't flair up much while needing very hot coals i will leave the lid off. but why not experiment thus finding what works for you. its why i like this addiction !

Like Bill and most of the others I cook most everything on indirect and the lid is always down. However, I do use my 18.5 OTS for cooking direct, which usually is steaks, but again the lid is always down.

Don't know how I missed this before. Interesting answers. My method varies with the desired result and type of meat to be cooked. For high fat foods, such as hamburgers or skin on chicken, I agree with the indirect, lid on approach. But if I am cooking steaks or chops, I ask my guests if they like char as well as how they like them in terms of doneness. For a rare to medium rare steak with char, there is no way to get there if the lid is utilized. Lid off for the whole cook. Like so many other complex challenges, the easy answer is usually not the right answer.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill Stevenson:
Don't know how I missed this before. Interesting answers. My method varies with the desired result and type of meat to be cooked. For high fat foods, such as hamburgers or skin on chicken, I agree with the indirect, lid on approach. But if I am cooking steaks or chops, I ask my guests if they like char as well as how they like them in terms of doneness. For a rare to medium rare steak with char, there is no way to get there if the lid is utilized. Lid off for the whole cook. Like so many other complex challenges, the easy answer is usually not the right answer.

Bill

I tend to agree with Bill on this. If you asked me 12 months ago I would have said "always lid on". Now, after more experimentation. I can say that it definitely depends on what you are cooking and the desired finish/taste. Cooking a 19 mm rare steak with great searing and outside colouring (charing) is nigh impossible with the lid on, it must be done with the lid off. Cooking very thin slices of steak (5mm) for Thai Beef must be done lid off or you end up with insipid grey meat.
Dont forget you can always use a 2, 3 or 4 stage fire for different heat zones for cooking different cuts of meat.

Cheers

I do both. For example I'll start my steak indirect with the lid on and usually a little smoke, when they hit about 115-120 degrees I'll take the lid off and open the intake all the way and let the fire get jet engine hot. Then I'll finish the steaks directly over the coals (or with good lump directly on the coals themselves) for a nice crust.

Back