Lid Mod for 2006 model

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
In 2006 I purchased my bullet and the lid has no 'integrated' thermometer. Although I have a removable therm by TelTru (excellent quality!), does Weber offer a modification kit for my 2006 unit that includes their own flush mounted therm and that'll bring it up to 2009 standards so to speak?

TIA!!!

I doubt they offer a "modification kit", per se, but you should be able to order the thermometer and bezel as replacement parts, drill the hole, and mount it.

The part numbers can be found on the Parts Schematics page. The bezel and thermometer are grouped together but have two different part numbers that will need to be ordered.

Regards,
Chris

Just called Weber this afternoon to order the thermometer and bezel that they are including with their new models. Was truthful and willing to pay for this, but once they found out the age of my WSM (2006 era) they told me they could not sell it to me. In fact the lady (who was very nice and apologetic) said that they just got a memo reinforcing this directive. She mentioned that Weber could not support this modification and even after I promised to take full responsibility, no luck.

This was more of a modification for looks rather than function. Although I use my probes for grate and meat temp, I do use the top thermometer as a quick confirmation that all is going as expected.

Looks like I will continue to use my old thermometer through the top vent.

Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Schwartz:
Just called Weber this afternoon to order the thermometer and bezel that they are including with their new models. Was truthful and willing to pay for this, but once they found out the age of my WSM (2006 era) they told me they could not sell it to me. In fact the lady (who was very nice and apologetic) said that they just got a memo reinforcing this directive. She mentioned that Weber could not support this modification and even after I promised to take full responsibility, no luck.

This was more of a modification for looks rather than function. Although I use my probes for grate and meat temp, I do use the top thermometer as a quick confirmation that all is going as expected.

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called them two weeks ago about buying a thermometer and bezel for a 22.5" WSM for my 18" WSM. I explained that I would drill a hole and install it and she said that will not work and that I would need to buy a new lid. I took it that she mean't that I would have to buy a 22" lid. I again explained to her that I would mount it in my 18" WSM lid and she repeated that I would have to buy a new lid. She couldn't seem to grasp the idea that I was going to install it in my 18" WSM so I gave up trying to explain it to her and said goodbye.

Ok - I understand the Bezel for looks, but I've had good luck just buying a Tel-True Thermometer, drilling the right sized hole in the lid an installing the thermometer.

No bezel, but the thermometers work just fine.

Pat

Yeah, I don't get it either. I have a new 22" WSM and an old 18" WSM. In the 22 I have the Weber installed thermo, and in the 18 I have a pretty high-end (for a thermo) Tel-Tru.

Let's guess which one is more accurate? I was never an advocate for Weber installing a thermo on the original WSM and I wish they hadn't installed one on the 22. That way I get to choose my thermo and don't have to pay for what Weber decides I should have. After all, Weber is a business like most others, and they have their bottom line in mind more than my interests.

I guess I'd just rather have a choice.

Totally aggree, wish they would have just left it out given the quality of the one they chose.

The fact that they wouldn't sell you the 2009 therm is something I would take as a sign..time to go buy a Tel-tru.

I had had my 22 a week before the stock therm got ripped out and replaced with a tel tru..

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
I called them two weeks ago about buying a thermometer and bezel for a 22.5" WSM for my 18" WSM. I explained that I would drill a hole and install it and she said that will not work and that I would need to buy a new lid. I took it that she mean't that I would have to buy a 22" lid. I again explained to her that I would mount it in my 18" WSM lid and she repeated that I would have to buy a new lid. She couldn't seem to grasp the idea that I was going to install it in my 18" WSM so I gave up trying to explain it to her and said goodbye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not think, you can make the bezel for the 22" fit the lid of a "18 - try ordering the thermometer and bezel for the 18" instead. But: do not allways expect precise readings. I had 4 18"'s running at Memphis in May (all new smokers), one thermometer was useful, the other three were way off. None of the thermometers in our 4 22"'s worked ok :-(

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by LDThornton:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Todd Schwartz:

Todd </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I called them two weeks ago about buying a thermometer and bezel for a 22.5" WSM for my 18" WSM. I explained that I would drill a hole and install it and she said that will not work and that I would need to buy a new lid. I took it that she mean't that I would have to buy a 22" lid. I again explained to her that I would mount it in my 18" WSM lid and she repeated that I would have to buy a new lid. She couldn't seem to grasp the idea that I was going to install it in my 18" WSM so I gave up trying to explain it to her and said goodbye. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

They will not sell you a part if you tell them it is going to be used on another cooker for liability reasons I am assuming. I told a CSR I wanted to order a 2009 WSM door for a pre 2009 WSM and they wouldn't sell it to me. I assume if I call back and tell them my wife ran over my 2009 WSM door with the car, they would send me a replacement.

I was thinking about trying to buy a better thermometer that would fit perfectly into the bezel. Has anyone done this?

I have an older WSM 18 and installed a thermo made by the folks at Old Smokey. It has a huge range (100-475) & it's very accurate. Not expensive either.

Good luck to all.

I ended up buying a unibit and a 3" C&F thermometer and mounting it in the lid. It looks professional and I'm sure it will work great too. I'm uber happy now.......

Back